American Hazelnut pollination

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

OK... I've read several posts on several forums and can't get a clear answer. Does the American Hazelnut (Corylus americana) require a pollinator?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am not sure the answer is clear. They seem to need at least two plants but not a different cutivar. In other words two or more hazel nut bushes do fine. In the wild they tend to grow in thickets, so maybe one is too lonely.

So.... if I'm confused.. I'm reading things right then?? I wish the nursery would have said something when I ordered.... now they are sold out. Not to mention it is getting kinda late in the season to plant them. The one we got we are going to put in large container till this Fall. Maybe we can order a nother one then. Thanks for the info (silverfluter's DH... Tom)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

These usually take several years to bear so you have plenty of time. Also unless you prune severely, They will spread out into a multiple clump which can be divided by digging out the outside plants during the dormant period

Can these divided plants be used as a polinator? Also... knowing the clumpy nature, can whatever polinator be planted close, say within 5 feet? Thanks again... Tom

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

yes

New Fairfield, CT(Zone 5a)

I bought 20 hazelberts from Saint Lawrence nurseries. What arrrived were 20 top quality plants that have thrived. Have heard they might even make a couple of nuts this year. Green-Ox

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.