Growing apple tree from seed

Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

my DD is growing an apple tree from a seed kit. She started it last spring and now it's about 6 inches tall with lots of leaves. Should we be taking the lower leaves off to form a trunk or do we just leave it be to do its thing?

I'll also be posting this on the trees and shrubs forum....

Thanks for any advice.
Sonya

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Leave them on - the trunk will get taller and the lowest will fall off on their own. When the tree is 1 to 2 years old you can start pruning without worring about killing the tree. I found if you prune yto early you can really hurt the little things and or kill them. Thats my 2 cents - no expert but that is what I do. Mitch

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

The tree produces it's energy with those leaves, so don't remove them. Let the tree grow for a few years and then prune it.

Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

thanks you two!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm trying to grow them from seed also. Here's the only one I've been able to start so far, I have other seeds 'chilling' in the 'fridge. I started mine this spring also but it seems to be growing real slow, any idea why?

Also, will I be able to plant these outside this fall? I don't have anyplace inside to winter it over if it gets too large. :o(

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

aww, it's so cute!

DD started her first set last May I think. I planted 2 sprouts, about 4 inches tall in the ground last fall and after the first one got dug up that very night I surrounded the surviving one with some broken bits of pottery and a stake so the lawn guy would know something was planted there. It survived our very cold winter just fine. I dug it up this spring and put it in a little pot because we're possibly moving in July (hopefully not) and my DD would be crushed if we left it behind. I *think* it's about 6-8" now.

My younger DD wanted her own so on Monday we'll finally be able to take it out of the fridge and see what happens.

I have no idea how fast they are "supposed" to grow but yours looks just fine to me. If I get a chance this weekend I'll try to get a picture of our one year old seedling so you can see....

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

s24g;

Thanks for the info, I had hoped that I could plant it out this fall, with wire around it to protect it from deer, mice, etc.

Now to start a couple of more for cross pollination. I realize that it's highly unlikely to get a really good apple starting them from seed, but it's fun to try. Plus you get to name your own variety. ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.