Pummelo tree

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

I bought a Pummelo tree at Home Depot this morning and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience growing these things. It is the Chandler Pummelo. I did a google search on it, but would rather hear of personal experiences with this fruit. The variety I have is sweet and tart, with pink pulp. I can't wait to try it. That makes for 1 Chandler Pummelo, 1 Lisbon Lemon, 1 Navel(Citrus Sinensis), 1Panamint Nectarine, 1 Mexicola Avocado and 2 Thompson Seedless grapes. I hope they survive this heat we're having. Its 106 right now at 2:48pm. YIKES!!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Judy, I had a dwarf Chandler Pummelo for a few years (I lived in San Jose, CA at the time.). I loved the large flowers which were the reason for buying the Pummelo. Around the forth winter, I found out the hard way that it was the least hardy citrus tree I owned. My citrus trees ( 12 in all and all in 24-30 inch pots ) all overwintered outside. We had a few consecutive days of below 32ºF weather that winter. The pummelo was the only loss. Everything above the graft died.

Keep them rehydrated and they should be fine.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you for the info, bettydee. I hope I have good luck with this tree. We don't really have a freeze here every year. Now and then we do but its brief. I sure hope my tree lives. Its a bigger one so maybe it will. I think mine is the larger size. I water it consistently, and have it mulched. If it doesn't make it, then I guess I won't get another one. My navel got bit but its ok. My lisbon lemon is just insane. I have little walnut sized lemons all over it now. Can't wait for those.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.