worms in the soil

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

I started to grow seeds indoor since January. Some of the pot didn't grow yet. However, I saw some tiny, white, almost transpart worms there. Does anyone know what they are? And are they bad for the plants or seeds?

Thanks,

Fang

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I had this problem-- Do you have tiny little gnat like flies too?? They may be fungus flies--

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/501602/

BTW - ANYONE-- Do NOT use the pull out sticky tape thingys where your cat can get to them! LOL!!!! 3 baths later my Poor Casey was humiliated! LOL!!!!!!

heather

Heather,
Does that mean the seed won't germinate at all? Should I dump the soil out?

Fang

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

LOL Mystic!
I have a great visual w/o even knowing Casey!
A.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

The larvae won't affect the germination, your best idea will be to remove any just germinated seedlings before the larvae have had a chance to attack them (if they do).

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

If you have whiteflys, the tiny white wormlike larvae will eat the seeds.
I was introduced to them this winter when I got started with brugmansia. Some whiteflys came in with some cuttings I was given. Later when starting brug seeds, my first flat sat for 2 months with nothing. I started probing and found all but two had been pierced and eaten / turned to mush.

when starting a new flat inside, pour boiling water over your seed mix. Cover and let cool.
Sow as normal but then cover the flat or container with something like the press-and-seal saran wrap or put your container in a plastic bag and close it. Remove the cover when you see your first sprout.

Thanks for all the information. I told my husband that there are worms in the pot and might have some little flies. He freaked out. So he went to the basement, and took all my potting, and put them outside. I guess I have to try to grow them outside. He no longer allows me to grow them inside.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Turn off the stove and make coffee a cup at a time for a little leverage. :) If you're having to make room for beer in the fridge, set it in the garage and tell him to start buying ice and use the icechest. It has no place in the fridge taking up room.

I'm sure there's somewhere to put a little pressure on him.....

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

also I have been told sterilize your mix before using-- that sometimes they come in the bags of mix..... sorry it took me so long to answer...

As for Casey-- LOL! good thing I babysit for a dog groomer -- she did the bathing - not me -- although she said he was really well behaved.

Heather

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.