Cucumbers heavy feeders?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Are cucumbers heavy feeders? I have several growing in a container and while they look like they are doing great I just wanted to know how often or even if I should feed them. Thanks

Saint

(Zone 2b)

Yes, cucumbers are heavy feeders. They will likely appreciate being fertilized regularly, as dictated by your soil conditions.

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Cucumbers like highly organic soil with a slow steady supply of nutrients. Many seed packets still recommend mixing a couple of shovels of well rotted manure into each hill before planting. I grow mine in EarthBoxes with an organic 5-3-3 plus bone meal and kelp meal and they seem to love that.

Rich

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Humm well no horse poo around so I'll have to settle for the MG. *G* I tell ya what next year Rich I'll do one organic EB and bug you to death to teach me the ins and outs.

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Remember to pick your cucumbers regularly. If one hides and gets big and starts turning yellow the plants thanks its done

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Yep. Last year my first three cukes did that. Turned yellow right away, and that plant almost died. Still don't know if it was a fluke, or if I just thought they should get bigger before I picked em LOL

Same goes for okra. A past-ripened fruit(veggie) sends a hormonal message to the plant, which causes it to begin the dying out process. Aren't plants amazing???

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

durn, when do I pick my Chinese Yellow cukes...?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I guess I'll pick small then...don't want em to think it's over and done with on the first go around.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Use Osmocote for Vegetables and Tomato Food.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Zeppy~Chinese Yellow Cukes??? Do they start out yellow, or turn yellow? Does it say on the package? Do a google...

Saint~Last year my small cukes sold for the same price as my larger ones, because they were so sweet, "like candy". They didn't even have noticeable seeds in them. I did taste tests and they always picked the slice from the smaller one (they didn't see the size). What cultivar is it?

Foolcontrol, osmocote sounds familiar, is it Organic?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL I dont' really know Tam..See I bought these seeds from this fellow in Keller TX on eBay and he called em foot long cucumbers and since it was a package deal with the foot long "asperagus" beans I just plopped em in dirt when they got here. I hope I get some since I love tomato, cucumbers and onions with Zesty Italian dressing...

So you sell your produce? How large a space do you have set aside for it?

Here is the info on the cucumbers I have.

I have grown these for years and they are the best cucumbers ever!. Use for pickle relish on hot dogs, oh my are they good! Salads and much more. I cant tell you how good these cukes are! Try them out, you wont go back to the boring everyday cukes. Sell them at the local store, thats what I have done for years. Make some money, stay healthy and use on your eyelids for a beautiful complextion! Dont miss these its time to plant, buy for a friend or relative, you wont be dissappointed!!!!!!!!!!! People love them! Not bitter and no need to peel!

Only organic and thats it, no nothing just dirt and compost! Heres the run down for you!

ARMENIAN Grow this funny-looking cucumber with its pale green color and corduroy-like ribs if you're tired of bitter cukes. Armenian cucumbers have very thin skins and are always mild. So put away that vegetable peeler and enjoy lots of crisp, 12-14 inch cukes. Days to Harvest: 60 - 60 Days to Sprout: 7 - 7 Planting Depth: 0.5 - 0.5 inches Plant Spacing: 3 - 4 inches Row Spacing: 36 - 48 inches Spacing after Thinning: 18 - 24 inches Planting Instructions: After the last frost when the soil has thoroughly warmed, plant seeds in soil enriched with compost or rotted manure. Seedlings can be started indoors in 3-inch peat pots, 4 weeks before transplanting. Use plastic mulch in cool climates to retain heat in the soil. Provide a trellis, fence or netting to support the vines. Planting Info/Suggestions:

GROWING; Fertilize monthly beside each plant. With a organic fertilizer. Water regularly. HARVESTING Pick when cucumbers are 2 inches across or less. Pick regularly so cucumbers will continue to form. I have grown these with the same results time and time again. They just get better. These are rare and ready to start on your window sill. 10 seeds packed in a zip lock bag, airtight and moisture free.You will have a great time with these beautys. Shipping is 1.00 per order. Growing instructions included free. Below is an example of a typical cucumber LOL. They are that good. You wont be disappointed. They can grow in excess of up to 3 feet or more.

This message was edited May 20, 2005 7:49 AM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, here is info on the same one from where i buy, i have not tried these:

Armenian Cucumber
Cucumis melo
Heirloom
12-18 in.

Very attractive, crisp and prolific vegetable. Light green, thin skinned with deep ridges and good mild flavor. Botanically a close relative of the honeydew, this cucumber thrives in hot weather. Grown since the last century. direct seed in garden every 4-6 in. in rows 3-6 ft. apart when danger of frost has passed, or sow indoors 2-4 weeks before setting out. Transplanting must be done gently early in the morning or at dusk with minimal root disturbance for best results.Pick at peak of color.Harvest 2-3 times weekly for best eating
Planting Depth: 3/4"
Soil Temp. for Germ.: 65-90°F
Days to Germ.: 3-6
Plant Spacing: 1-2'
Days to Maturity: 55-70
Full Sun/Partial Shade
Moderate Water
Pack weight 1.50gms
~ 50 seeds

Maybe I should sell my seeds on ebay LOL This guy could be growing and saving his own seed, so he could possibly get them that long. You be sure and post pics of you first harvest (like you need reminding)

Tamara

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A note of caution; Armenian cucumbers are a different species. They are esentially a form of cantalope and will cross pollinate readily with the melons we call cantaloupes and honeysdews in the USA. There are a number of cultivars listed in the plantfiles. http://davesgarden.com/pf/b/Cucurbitaceae/Cucumis/melo%20var.%20flexuosus///
There are a number of long regular cucmbers (c. sativus) mostly asian in origen.
I thought for a moment you had a Yellow Submarine, but it is a regular 8 inch size.

This message was edited May 20, 2005 1:05 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Yellow Submarine

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

No problem for me since I don't have any melon type growing..Farmer you still around? I have a mater question.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Here is some info on another yellow one, is this what you have Zeppy?

Lemon Cucumber
Cucumis sativus Heirloom 3 in. Tender Annual
Heirloom 3 in. These round, yellow cukes are juicy, crisp and refreshing. This unique variety is a good producer and keeps producing late in the season when others have stoped. Great for fresh slicing.

We are sorry, but due to overwhelming demand, Lemon Cucumber bulk sizes have sold out. Packs are still available. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Planting Depth: 1" Soil Temp. for Germ.: 70-90°F Days to Germ.: 7-14 Plant Spacing: 1-2' Days to Maturity: 65 Full Sun/Partial Shade Moderate Water

FarmerDill~ Thanks for the info on the Armenian, I knew there was a reason I chose to not put those on my order list :-)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*ears perkin up* Tam you have melons? I see I'm going to have to place an order from your garden.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Actually, it's this one, posted on PlantFiles by FarmerDill:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72498/index.html

photo scroll down
http://www.rareseeds.com/catlisting.php?cat=15

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Haven't planted them yet. But just planted 6 hills of winter squash, and 11 of early watermelon. I was hoping the horses would move out so I could use the fence to grow them on. Still looking for another prime location.

Saint, you are gonna have to live a little closer to buy anything. I don't grow in large quantities. I grow for flavor for local folks only, and they are happy to pay for it. I have neighbors who have had gardens all their lives, and couldn't GIVE their extra stuff away. That's cause it wasn't anything super tasty, and they expected these people to come and pick it themselves. People are too busy, that AIN"T gonna happen!

Back on the cukes, with your permission *G*, I will post pics of my crop and plants last year. Later, have to run to the PO.

Tamara

Cucumbers: [cukes]
Direct planted 4/07 from seed. About 6 wks. by now.
2 types, Straight 8 & National Pickling. Total 90' at about 1' apart.
-
These cukes will reach the top of tha post and can be picked from either side.
I will run a vertical string about every 3' bottom to top to equalize weight.

First fertilizer tomorrow or soon.
Will use triple 13 and cover. I will then use alfalfa pellets on top of that pouring rather heavily as I walk along. Fall where they may.
Soon as my back allows and tha spirit moves me I'll shovel mushroom compost between each plant lol or almost every plant.
Haha
If tha weather holds and tha spirit is willing I'll do 89 shovels.

I realize we garden in different ways. Climates, soil, reasons why, our own!
I call this sharing, gardening with a friend.
Our very own Eden.......

Thumbnail by heycharlie
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm trying to stake mine (remember they are in containers) but the cucumbers and the beans are going to grow taller than the stake! Maybe I can run a string and they can grow along that. Will it hurt if they sprawl?

araness;
"Maybe I can run a string and they can grow along that. Will it hurt if they sprawl?"

Both beans and cucumbers will run along a string.
Keep tha weight factor in mind.
A staked mesh wire is good also. Something for them to hold on to.

Beans, cukes, maters, etc can sprawl and be jus fine if picked in time.
Watch them, when they're so beautiful ya can't stand it, Pick um and smile a lot!

Old timers use to take a small tree limb with branches, poke it in tha ground and grow on it. called it there chrismas tree plants.
Have fun!

The only wrong in any of this is Not Doing.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Neat I can rig something up. I've been put on buying restriction from getting anything more for my plants unless they are dying and with the last little gasp in a bean or tomato body are able to ask for what they want my DH has said no more *G*

Norcross, GA(Zone 7a)

heycharlie,

Is that string or wire running horizontally on your cucumber row?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I think I might be about to get cucumber blooms! YIPPIE!

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

If this isn't a bloom then someone plz just sneak into my yard and glue a darn cucumber to this blankity blank plant.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I really can't say if that is a bloom or a sucker (ducking now)...

But time will tell. Mother Nature sure wants to teach us patience, doesn't she?

:-)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ok what's a sucker?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

remember in tomato class 101? They are new plants that frow at the axil (I mean the joint between the stem and the leaf, maybe not be called axil, what do I know?)

But personally, I have decided that I DEFINITELY think it is a bloom, maybe even a cluster of blooms :-)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol..sure sure. The cucumber is now taller than the netting cage and has escaped out the top. now If I could just get it to stop growing up and to start growing along the frame of the cage I'd be set. The beans are just weaving themselves through the netting and the guys told me I don't need to stake the okra. Next year I'll have different types of both cucumbers and beans and I'll have lattice work for them to climb on. Humm how are cucumbers and beans and companion plants?

Saint

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Welll, normally you wouldn't plant them together, I can't recall... will check back with you later, time to go to town!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Have fun...bring me back a Coke Icee!

Hey atlr;
Did ya get the email I sent?

Norcross, GA(Zone 7a)

heycharlie, yes, thanks for the explanation and picture about using baling twine.

Hey Saint;
Who ya calling a sucker? Haha
"ok what's a sucker?"
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00031.asp
Talks aobut pruning suckers etc. Best site I've found for tha explination...
-
Found it here:
http://gardenbycharlie.blogspot.com/

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

rut row...didn't prune now I have suckers! Next plants I promise only one big old stem in the middle. Honest....*sigh* I think I need to get me one of ya'll to move in...I tried Tplant but he didn't bite...If only I had married an Agricultural engineer..humm wait I did..to bad I don't have cows...those he could help with!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

but if you got cows, then you would HAVE to grow corn to feed them...

don't worry about the suckers, they do make more fruit, some people leave them on...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL I can see cows in my postage stamp back yard! The puppy would love it (she's strange she adores horses and cows) but I think the moo poo factor would kill the joy of it :P~

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I have cucumber flowers!!! Ok I only have two but...*G* So when do I get cucumbers? How long do they have to be for I can pick em? HUH HUH HUH??? *LOL* Can ya tell I'm wired?

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

another one...

Thumbnail by araness

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.