A Favorite Iris....What's Yours?

Coral Springs, FL(Zone 10b)

Wow Lynn! I'll bet that quilt is simply beautiful! And so lucky are you to have a garden loving mom.
I did the painting as a wedding gift at the request of a friend, and it's hanging now somewhere in Naples FL. Maybe I can get her to take a photo of it...
:)
Again thank you all! There isnt one single flower that is not breathtaking, and the photos are superb! I used to paint from seed catalogs, but this is much better!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Flowerfrenzy, I went to Nicholson's online.....Shame on me. I found 22 irises that I'm ordering. (And yesterday my mom brought me 3 TBs that I did not own.)

A few that I picked out were from Nicholson's were: Devil's Fork (THAT IS A KILLER!), Gnu Rayz, Test Pattern, Gigilo, and Sinister Desire. I found an orange one to hopefully work next to that fuscia-colored TB with the orange beard, too. I picked out A L'Orange. Sure hope the orange isn't too much.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

lynncgit, i didn't find strawberry swirl at nicholson's. maybe, i missed it. did you see it? belinda

I just checked online and I don't see it listed. Maybe you could email them (or flowerfrenzy) and ask?

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

lynn- i email flowerfrenzy, she said it is listed in their catalog. i called woodland and she said they had it available. they were on there way to OR and would be back on monday. she told me to email her my list and she would mail me a catalog. belinda

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Lynn~

I know what you mean! I visited all the iris gardens in the Salem, OR area (because I live close) and bought WAY too many! I purchased so many new ones that I'm having to give away a bunch of my old ones! Shame on ME!

I'm glad that people are finding 'Strawberry Swirl'. Sorry I wasn't clear before!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

This is "Stellar Lights".

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

I love this one, but don't know which one it is.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Shirley is it Liaison?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

'Chickasaw Sue' another view for Hooked. This is the color of the one she is growing and that was the name on hers...don't know what to tell you...but actually the pictures of the ones in the plant file do not seem to look much alike either...so??? I just don't know.
JanetS

Thumbnail by JanetS

Beautiful irises Shirley. Looking up and down some of the iris threads is like a trip to a candy-store! LOL

I've noted that there are alot of photos with color discrepancies and I figured that between camera settings, time of exposure, and time of photograph, the color can vary.

I also wonder if an iris color will slightly change due to its growing environment. Does anyone know if soil, fertilization, zone-climate, amount of sunlight, or even water could alter the color of an iris?? It seems likely that it could. For example, my Superstition iris is much darker than the photos in the Plant Files here. Why would that happen?

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Wow Janet that is a beautiful iris. I got mine from Cooley's, like I said a long time ago. I'll watch for it this year and if it blooms I'll post a picture. This is the picture taken from the original catalog where I purchased it. As I remember, it looked a little more orange then this photo.
I would be happy with either of them!
Thanks Bonnie

Thumbnail by hooked
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry I missed the question about the price on the 'New' Iris. I'm not sure which iris you're referring to. All the Iris on this page I've posted are relatively old timers and not expensive.. At Schreiner's Social Graces is $15.00 and Impressionist is $12.50. Don't gasp yet. At Schreiner's if you buy $80.00 worth it's $40.00 so everything is half priced. You can get 'Social Graces' at Bay View Gardens for $6.25 If you buy a couple more in it's group like 'Wintry Sky' and 'Happenstance', or if you buy 3 of Social Graces. It's 3 for $18.00. I haven't seen 'Impressionist' any place but Schreiner's though. "Mastery' and 'Snowed In', 'Spouting Horn' are also in that group.

Sue_Wa, you just earned yourself an A+! Yes, thanks for identifying Liasion for me!

Thanks, LynnCanGrowIt! Yes, it is indeed like going to an "Iris Candy Store".......window shopping!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Lynn~

I find most of the discrepancies are due to differences in lighting and types of cameras used. Also, a lot of the breeder catalogs touch their pics up, or use funky (technical word! :] )backgrounds that make the flowers look different.

However, when I add bone meal to the soil about 6 weeks before bloom time, I notice that my flowers are larger and the colors are more vibrant than if I don't. I also find that the more sunlight they have, the larger the flowers are as well. The PH of your soil can also play a part. Irises like neutral to mildly alkaline soil.

If I had to pick one thing that makes the most difference, though, it would definitely be adding bone meal 4-6 weeks before bloom. Hope this helps!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

janets-here's my chickasaw sue. it doesn't look like the one in the plantfiles but it does look like yours.

Thumbnail by daylily970
Reno, NV

Shirley,

I too think your mystery iris is Liaison. Is the top sort of a pale peachish off-white? Mine have a wonderful velvety finish, which is hard to tell from your picture. But this is one very gorgeous iris!

Andrea
Reno, Nevada

Thumbnail by aecrowell
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

janets, I just got the Eureka Iris and Hosta guide 2004 and found this photo of Chickasaw Sue.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 5:44 AM

Thumbnail by hooked
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

hooked, does this look like the one in the book? belinda

Thumbnail by daylily970
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

belinda,
a lot like it. The Eureka one has a larger white center on the falls and they look wider.

Yours is very pretty!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

hooked, i have it marked color tart? is this right? belinda

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I don't know! This is what the iris register say about Chickasaw Sue;

CHICKASAW SUE
(J. Gibson, R. 1982). Sdlg. 49-9B. BB. 26" (65 cm). M.
S. oranage red (RHS 31A) and violet blend; F. white ground. stitched orange. red and brown on edge and hafts; bright orange (28A) beard; ruffled. 22-4A: ((Co Co Mocha x 83-6B) x 40-2B) X 72-4C. Golden Garnet sib. Gibson 1983.

I couldn't find Color Tart. sorry.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Your Chickasaw Sue looks like my Abstract Art : http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/48797/

or Mountain Melody: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/35781/index.html

My sis bought "Chickasaw Sue at Walmart and it has the same coloring as yours, not the
Chickasaw Sue rusty coloring. Do you suppose it got mis marked at the wholesalers?

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

wanda, i'm not sure where i got chickawas sue. my 35mm picture looks like mountain melody. i have about 20 irises and i think about 15 are named wrong. good thing, i ordered around 100 this spring from growers that were recommended by dg. they should be correct, at i hope. belinda

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Anyone know where Edna can be found? I just got through viewing ALL of the lovelies on Schreiners, but no Edna.....

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Belinda, I have had mystery iris often from friends & registered growers. Ain't life wonderful?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.