Powder vs. liquid?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I've seen pics of powder rooting compound. I have a large container of liquid (undiluted) rooting stimulator. What's the difference? How do I use the liquid to propogate cuttings?

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Rooting stimulator is not the same as rooting hormone compounds. You can buy liquid rooting hormone compounds or use the zinc based powders. Liquid brands include Hormex, Dip'N'Grow, Rootone, Doc's etc. You can also buy the gel based rooting hormone compounds which I have found is a nice addition: Clonex, Olivias, etc.

The liquid rooting stimulators are not rooting hormones. At best rooting stimulators have a bit of nutrients for new roots, but they don't provide hormones for cuttings to produce new roots. At worst, you get similar result with water. Snake oil IMHO. Save your money when it comes to the "stimulators".

Note: lots of cuttings will form roots without the use of rooting hormone compounds whereas others will need rooting compounds to do so. Try it and see which milage you get out of it. If you hear someone stating that they got great results using "root stimulators" chances where that they would have gotten similar results using just plain old water. Not all plants require rooting hormones to create roots. Most plants have the hormones naturally inside the stems and cutting the plant will automatically stimulate the plant to produce root at the lower end. Rooting hormones is used to intensify this natural occurrance, and to prompt less active plants to do the same.

You may want to take a look at this article for a more indept discussion about plant hormones:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/18505/105386

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you very much! Very helpful! Tamara

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

That's a great site - I love to know the scientific basis behind gardening techniques - I think it helps you to use them appropriately!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.