Paper towel method

Arroyo Grande, CA

I tried layering the seeds in paper towels and then putting them in a square plastic container. I found the paper towel a little flimsy and the two-ply towels tended to separate. The big erythrina seeds made for a lumpy pile and some tried to fall off. I probably will do something different for them next time. Labeling them with a felt tip pen, the ink ran a little so I made bigger numbers. I did them in order so even if the numbers run completely I will know which seeds are which. I put about 40 sheets of seeds in each container, but that is probably too many as going through them one at a time every other day is going to be a real pain. I did not have a sprayer, so I just soaked every third one, letting the water drip off completely before using. That worked out fine and they were damp but not saturated. I can see some big advantages to this method over just doing the trays, but it was not that fast and you still have to plant them out, keep a closer eye on them in the early stages and go through the containers every other day. For cold statifying alstroemerias, it makes it possible to avoid having a second fridge since they are a warm, cold, warm group. Oh, well something new and now the fun begins, watching them germinate.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If your seeds should sprout really fast and may grow roots that will grow into the paper towels, use coffee filters instead. By the same token, if it is a seed that may take awhile and rot the paper towel, use coffee filters. I usually start with a stack of paper towels cut into smaller squares and a stack of the snack size ziploc baggies. I only put one type of seed per baggie and tape them all to a sunny window so I can see through them. Hence, when a root pops out, I usually see it right away. I write on the bags with a sharpie or garden marker. For the double dormancy seeds, I usually do the first cold in the fridge then winter sow.

I can't wait to see all your new babies. :)

Arroyo Grande, CA

It will be interesting to see how this works. But then the whole experience over the last three months has been exciting. Going from not propagating anything to propagating everything is quite a change. Yeah, the coffee filter paper looks like a much better way to go. It would be a lot of work but I may switch everything. I am quite concerned about mixing up the species as there are many species of the same genus layered next to each other and I have no clue what they should look like. At least I will use the filters on the next thirty proteacae that are soaking in smoke primer. Doing the baggie thing looked good, but there are a hundred in this batch, so it might have set DW off to have those bags hanging all over the place. With the lights in the seed palace it stays about 75 degrees all the time in the area around the palace, so I just set the containers there. Light is going to be the only issue, but I read that they green up right away once you plant them. I suppose I could create some little closelines inside the palace and hang the baggies. That would be cute. Have to try it. Some of the earlier progated stuff looks very professional but some are quite leggy still. Grasses worked very well. I have great hopes for the Restios. One good thing about propagation, you can do it at night, so it extends the gardening day. I was out most of the day looking and photographing native plants and gathering some seeds, then came home to do the seed thing. I had a gardening day that started at eight and finished at 1 AM this morning. Can't ask for much more. I suppose it fits with the family motto, Excess in all Things.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I like pre-sprouting my seeds on paper towel...I have not tried the coffee filter yet, so I don't know how that works. I did read, and have done it...that is to make a seed tape by placing the seeds on the papter towel, pre-sprouting and then planting the whole thing...paper toweling and all.
I usually put my seeds on the moist paper towel in a baggie on the water heater. They come out in no time. Recently morning glory seeds sprouted over-night. I couldn't believe it! The miracle of seeds!!

Arroyo Grande, CA

Yes, it is fascinating. Growing them on in the seed palace pretty much means you have to plant the individual plantlets as there would not be enough room. I got the coffee filters, flat ones, as I have a metal filter for my coffee pot. I do think I will replace the paper towels when I look at them tomorrow evening. I think that if I juse permanent marker before getting the filter wet it will not run. The nice thing about the proteacae is that they do not require propagator heat, so do not take up any room in the seed palace. More room for other things. I am going to be gone most of the month of August so I have to get everything started and out of the palace before then. It is asking too much to get someone to do the monitoring of that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.