Sad Looking Lily!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure if this Orientpet was damaged by a late freeze we had or if it has a disease. Can anyone tell from the photo? The lower part of the leaves look OK. Should I just cut off the top or dig it up and get rid of it? I don't want anything to spread. It seemed healthy last year.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Boytris, which sometimes can make plants look like this, typically spread from the bottom up. However, if wet leaves of adjacent plants have rested on the lilies, it could also be the cause. It appear you have the lilies crowded a bit ??

A late season frost (28F or lower) could certainly have done this, did you have frost ??

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd give it a good spray of Messenger. Hope springs eternal.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, KD, we did have about 4 nights of freeze warnings. That was about 2 weeks ago. Sure does look like Susan's lilies got nipped.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That's definitely freeze damage. I have had it happen even here if lilies emerge too early. One thing a lot of people don't realize about liliums is that while the bulb itself is very hardy, the shoots are NOT...and a freeze even in the 20's can do them in and ruin them until the following year. Sorry lincolnitess - makes me cringe to look at it.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the help! I guess I'll just cut off the dead part and let the rest grow. The good thing is, I have lots of lilies and this is the only one that seems to have damage.

Susan

Waldport, on the cen, OR(Zone 8b)

We, too, have some lilies where the top appears to be rotting. Since we haven't had freezing weather, could it be from a combination of rain and wind where the windchill is below freezing? Of our 3 in this condition, one is part of a group, one stands alone, and the third is near a large shrub.

Can anyone tell me what will happen if we cut the tip off? Will we loose this year's chance of a bloom? This is only our second year of serious lily growing. Thanks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, I think you'll lose the bloom. Why not give it a week or so. If it blackens you know you lost the bloom anyhow and just cut it off - the least amount you can possibly cut off!!!!!!! If it lacks tugidity (feels soft and mushy) you've lost the bloom for this year so cut it back but not to the gound! Just cut it to where it's still firm. Just my opinion. I'll let the experts have their say.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I, too have a few that are also blackened toward the top :( Too much rain for too long, I guess.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

yeah.. I got a few flower buds zapped this spring, too. The lilies were planted in containers indoors which brought them to bud stage faster. A few dips and ZAAAAAAAAAP there goes the blooms for this year. And that was even in the high 30's...

Good news is that they usually return with a revenge next year..!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Look on the bright side. As the bulbs won't bloom, they will focus their energy on increasing bulb size.

We lost lots up here too. Total disaster as we are hosting NALS this year. Our chairman has decreed we shall have 2000 stems, weather not withstanding.

Inanda

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So sad to loss so many blooms, but like you said they should be big next year. Hope you get your 2000 stems. That should be something to see!

Susan

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think I have some crown imperials with this Boytris they look kind of like this picture above, but they were definitely over crowded too. I 've cleared out the plants next to them, but I think one of them is completely brown now, and another one is working on it. wondering if their going to die completely now? sorry for overtaking this thread. was just wanting to know more abou tthis boytris. If I can think of it, i'l ll post a pic of mine tomorrow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

here's a sad lilly i found today and this happened overnight does anyone know what it is or how to keep it from speading. and or make it better

Thumbnail by jerryhildebrand
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Jerry based on what Ken said in the 2nd post in this thread it could be boytris??? He said it starts from the bottom and moves upward.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

One of my lilies did the same thing. I pulled out the spikes and they were completely rotten. Too much rain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.