Dames Rocket Seeds

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Anyone know where the seeds are on this plant? It has been blooming for a month or so and some are starting to decline and wither. A lot of the blooms are already gone and there is naked stem left.

Thanks!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The little 'stems' that stick out all along the main part of the plant are the seed pods. The bottom ones will ripen first as they were the first ones to bloom. You will have mature pods right up to blooms all on the same plant. They will mature in the order that they bloom, and the pods will split open and drop the seeds. When the little pods turn yellow, you can snip them off and continue drying them in a better spot.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Melody,
Thanks so much!!
Yes I do see the little stems you're talking about. The plants are covered with them. I just thought thery were the naked stems after the blooms fell off. Had no clue they are seed pods. Its hard to see that these tiny little stems are actually seed pods. It looks as if I will have TONS of seeds- LOL!!

THANKS again!!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Melody,

Do, they do the snap-pop-open thing like balsam and cleome?

~* Robin

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Robin,
Do you have these? If so you know that the seed "pods" look nothing like either cleome or balsam. Those are real easy to spot thank goodness.The DR are just tiny, skinny little stems. I was stunned when Melody told me that's where the seeds are. I am not doubting her word or anything, BTW. They're gonna have to really plump up to look like a pod- LOL!
If they do pop open like balsam, I am in trouble b/c there are tons of these things. I guess I'll have to park me a chair in my flower bed and be on 24/7 snap duty!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

They stay pretty skinny, but will resemble a pod as it matures...they won't be nearly as big as a cleome pod though. They'll be about 2" long and they won't snap-pop open terribly bad, but they will easily break open on their own. The little seeds are sort of tan and you'll get tons. They just won't mature all at the same time. Just remember to snip the bottom ones into something they can continue drying in as they yellow. Leave a selection in the garden to re-seed too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.