Name of pole beans

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey has anyone heard of big john pole beans. I would like to have a bit of info on them. I got them from a guy when I was a member of the seed savers. I grew them last year and they have the best flavor. A bit of work stringing them but worth the wait. I just want to know where they came from how when they were introduced. I have never heard of them or seen them around.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Big John is a Kentucky Heirloom. It was brought to KY by John Combs around the time of the Revolutionary War and has been in the Billy Adams family for over 200 years.

This means they are not a 'commercial' variety. You cannot buy them in a store. A few seed savers have them and are preserving the strain.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Melody for the info, I have tried to find out information about them, with no luck to me.
I do grow these and they are delicious. I did get these from a man that is in the seed savers yearbook that I used to get each year. I just subscribed back into seed savers so I will be getting their yearbook this year or next. I think I have close to 1 lb of them in storage. I have been saving these seeds for about 4 years total now.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I have a friend in Amarillo who would like to see if those would grow in our climate. She is a Seed Saver as well, though she may not have renewed this year yet. Would you be interested in a trade? I have some rare suash seeds called Sweet Keeper...

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Not much of a squash eater, have anyother seeds for trade?

Cindy

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Cindy, we are almost in the same hardiness zone, though different climates (I htink you get a lot more rain LOL).

Pick out what you want from here, and I will pull it out of inventory. They are all new in package, certified Organic. I currently don't have any personal seeds saved.

www.dollarorganicseeds.us

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.