Hyacinth seed pods

Lake Hughes, CA

Hi All,
My bulbs are all dyeing back now and I've found some big bulbous pods on the hyacinths. Is it possible to dry these pods, plant the seeds and actually grow new hyacinths next year?

The same question applies to some of the seeds from my daylilly pods that I saved from last year. The seed pods dry out on the plant, and actually pop open shooting the seeds from the plant...I've saved some of the little black seeds (well...they're actually big seeds as far as seeds go)...will they actually produce a plant ?

Thanks!
Stitchinfool

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes they will. Buy some knee-high stockings at your local dollar store and put them with a twistie tie (not really hard) onto seeds' pods (just below, on the stem or neck if you prefer) in case you think they'll pop all over the place. The stockings will let the sun in to dry the pods and let them 'breathe' so they don't get all moldy.

HTH,

~* Robin

This message was edited May 11, 2005 10:09 PM

Lake Hughes, CA

Cool! Thanks Robin...I'll give that a try! Got lots of old panty hose around here since I retired and don't need to wear them every day. (Hallilujah!)

Thanks!
Stitchinfool

somewhere, PA

Stichinfool - I think my pantyhose are getting more productive uses in their retirement
than they ever got when I wore them to work! They're great for staking tomatoes and
any other plant. Really stretchy and brown color rather fades from view.

I've successfully grown daylilies from seeds but wanted to ask NatureWalker - this
works for hyacinth seeds too? How long to get to blooming size?

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Tammy,

As the way nature goes It will be 3 years to bloom. But then there are other ways to do this also. Man-made of course; and you still need patience. That's why big companys sell the viable bulbs and they charge you for their work.

Wanna try it?

~* Robin

somewhere, PA

Sure! Though I don't know why I love gardening so much - it requires so
much of that commodity I have so little of ... patience.

So what's the recipe?
Tam

Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info NatureWalker. What a great idea with the pantyhose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.