Help. Does Anyone Know "Who" This Is?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I love this one, but can't figure out who it is. light blue falls fade to about 1" edge of paler blue. edges of falls turn up or back. Could it be Dover Beach? Posted it in Id Forum but thought I'd also try over here.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

'Dover Beach' has white beards tipped lemon and your's looks like it has white beards. There is some reported rebloom in 'Dover Beach' which might be a clue. It does bloom early middle and late so it's a long bloomer anyway. Also, the falls on 'Dover Beach seem to be lighter in the center.

Beards can be a great help in identifying Iris. Do you know how long you've had it, who you got it from, how tall it is? Those would be helps too although there are so many Iris with white stands and pale blue falls, it's a hard search.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi doss,

Last summer I placed sizable orders with Schreiner's, Cooley's, and Leotas along with smaller orders from a number of other vendors. In late summer my knee went out and I had to have emergency knee surgery. A few weeks later ALL of those irises arrived. It was all I could do to load up on Vicodin, stumble out to the garden, and get them planted. I managed to record names and locations of about 1/2 of them. This is one that slipped through the cracks.

Due to its size and vigor it is almost certainly 1 of the 3 vendors mentioned. Cooley's included labels with all of theirs; since I don't see a label, it is not likely theirs. Schreiner's included labels with most but not all of theirs; Leota's wrote name on leaves (in my drugged state it did not occurr to me that leaves might not stick around.lol) So, either Leota's or Schreiner's, most likely the latter as I ordered a lot of blues from them. I have the names of all of the irises I ordered, but still cannot figure it out.

I would say that it is a tall bearded. It is among the tallest I have. For a newly planted iris, it has been quite prolific so far. It has been in constant bloom for maybe 2 weeks. Throughout that time it has always had 2-3 full blooms at the top with 2 or more lowever on the stalk. You are right though, I don't see any yellow. When I look at it "in person", the lighter edge on the falls is very noticeable.

Doss, thank you so much for trying to help me with this. I love this iris. I've looked (several times) at everything on both vendor's sites w/o luck.

Here are some additonal shots:

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Another

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here's one w/bud.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

close up of beards

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

It looks a lot like Dover Beach, except for the color of the tongue. The tongue or whatever it's called is yellow on my picture of Dover Beach.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

If seeing the names of what I have will help, most (I may have missed an invoice here and there) of my irises are listed in my default journal under bulbs (I know they are actually rhizomes), iris, Bearded. All 236 of them!!! Most of which I planted in fall while supposed to be in bed post-surgery! http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewbycat.php?cat=25401. Excuse the mess, still working on style. If you check Location, this one is in some version of "Blue iris Bed", could also be one of the ones for which location is not recorded, of course. Thanks again for all your help. Sheryl

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

One last close up. Note how edges curl upward. i don't see that on most of my others, even the ruffled ones.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm looking at Schreiner's website.....what about Monet's Blue?

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Or Nehalem Bay?

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Those are the only two at Schreiners that look close. One more, Alaskan Seas.

Deb

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Deb,

I'd have to rule out Monet's because it's a blue self (solid). Nehalem Bay is a maybe, except that I don't believe I (intentionaly) bought that one. Alaska Seas is also possible. It's not listed in my journal but could be one of the few I missed. Will look into this.

Sheryl

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Do you have a list of the ones you did purchase at each place? Or an invoice/order confirmation that would have the names listed? I would love to look them all up! I could sit and do that for hours!

Deb

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow, Deb, thanks. Will have to get file out. Will do that later this evening. Most are listed in journal w/vendor under comments. But I think a lot of the Schreiner's came in before I started journal and did not get entered. BTW, I started checking the 3 you mentioned. I'd have to rule out Alaskan Seas (which looked like a good bet) because description says icy blue standards w/lt blue falls. Mine has snow white standards w/lt sky blue falls. Have to run back outside to get some stuff done before dark. Will get invoice when I get back. Thanks, Sheryl

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Oh poo! Thought we had a match! Hey, it's fun to look at all of them! This way I have a different purpose for looking!

Deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I got my last year's Schreiner's catalog out and I have a few suggestions. 'Sierry Grande' is medium blue falls paling at the edges and white beards. It looks darker than yours but you never know. Growing conditions and photography can be deceiving. I didn't see anything else in Schreiner's that looked like it - unless it was an extra that wasn't in the catalog. On the other hand Rainbow nursery says navy blue falls. Go figure, it's probably not it. The photo in the plant files is incorrect and I've reported the problem.

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/TBI/SIER

At Leota's under blue, 'Proud Tradition' is a possibility. I can't tell with Leota's really though because she probably has changed her catalog from last year.

Because growing conditions can change the color of flowers enormously, the 'Laurief' way is to grow your best guess along side the first and see if they are the same.

Cooley's 'Carry me Away' is a possibility but it's got a yellow beard I believe.

Anyway, that's going through all three vendors. I hope that you can find something there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

doss,

I did purchase Proud Tradition. Per my records, here it is (attached). Note that it has light blue standards. The standards on my mystery plant are snow white, not a hint of color.

I did also purchase Sierra Grande. I think that one has potential. My records show it as being in a different location, but I was on heavy meds then so...anything is possible. It's also possible that I have 2 of them. My mystery plant is a pale baby blue though. But I do realize that growing conditions, soil ph, minerals, etc can effect color.

BTW, while I was outside working I took another look at my mystery plant which I have dubbed "Who". And I did find a tiny yellow dot at the base of the fall(s). So, and this WAS painful, I removed one of the falls to photograph it up close. Photos follow.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

looking inside "who".

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A fall from "Who".

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

So 'Who' are the smaller vendors? :-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

doss, I posted the fall with the microscopic yellow dot in hopes that you would lift the "ban" on Dover Beach since it's so perfect except for the yellow part. ; )

Can't I get credit for that yellow smudge?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just a few from Wayside/Parks, Burpee, Springhill, maybe Wilde. That's all I can remember right now. From Burpee I tended to order more reds are red/yellow bi-colors. Also, the rhizomes were much smaller and those that are blooming are noticably smaller and less well established. Wayside failed to send most of what I ordered from them. I did get Dream of You from them which I considered but the description mentions brown shoulders.

Per Debs request, I'm going to drag out the invoices later tonight (have a folder). Just came in from garden. Need to relax a few minutes before I can get up again to get the invoices. The knee is still a bit fussy.

I really do appreciate all of the help.

Sheryl

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I was looking for picks of Sierra Grande when I found Skylark's Song. It looks similar. Don't recall buying it though, but it is a Schreiner's. http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/SKYL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sorry, last night once I sat down I couldn't get back up.lol

Ok, this is just the tip of the iceburg:

SpringHill:
clarence,craclin burgundy,chanteuse,dante's inferno,gnu flash, sapphire hills, ocean spray, cloud ballet, dover beach, best bet

Schreiner's 2nd order:
alizes,about town,best bet,blenheim royal,brazilian holiday,cloud ballet,cross currant,dark passion,dusky challenger,ghost train,hello darkness, last hurrah, my girl, neptune's cloak,oregon skies, over alaska,pledge allegiance, proud tradition,river hawk,so fine,sweeter than wine,supreme sultan,tempting fate,freedom song

Have to go upstairs to get the rest. Going...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Burpee:
Sepping Out,Orchid Beauty,hello darkness,edith wolford,bride's halo,bountiful harvest,stellar lights,vanity's child,sweeter than wine,rustler,deep space, after the storm, all dressed up,batik,best bet,jennifer,loop de loop,olympiad,pt barnum,taco supreme

Wild:
beverly sills,busy being blue,disky challenger,ebony angel,hello darkness,silverado,stairway to heaven,pink swan,silverado,

cooley's:
alizes,bleu de mer,blue it up, blue staccato, breakers, caption,confectionery,deltaplane,designer gown,diabolique,eagles flight,fancy woman,frosted sapphire,gay parasol,gypsy caravan,hello darkness,iditarod,imaginarium,in person,infinite grace,interpol,kiss of peace,lace jabot,laced cotton,lacy artistry,lacy snowflake,larry gaulter,marauder,mary frances, my pretty valentine, navy strut,olympic pink,persian berry,pink swan,presence,rippling rose,ruffled ballet,samurai warrior,sharalee,sheer bliss,spring tidings,superstition,sweet revenge,tomorrow may rain,vanity,victoria falls

ebay:
baboon bottom (which turned out to be Squid Squirt!)

jung:
bountiful harvest,brides halo,city lights,deep space,edith wolford,hello darkness,honk tonk blues,orchid beauty,ruster,silverado,stairway to heaven,stellar lights,stepping out,sweeter than wine, vanity's child, yaquin blue (probably abbreviated)

Leota's:
affair,art form,ascent of angels,aunt lucy,bad guys,beau zam,brindled beauty,candy apple classic, city slicker,classic bordeaux,cosmic wave,covert action,dbl agent,fancy fellow,gnu blues,high blue sky,isnt this something,jammy prints,jazz me blue,kool knight,la mer,latin lark,metrolius blues,mind reader, nigerian raspberry,night edition, physique, ride the wind,rustler,sat night live(sub copatonic), schortmans garnet ripples,sheer bliss,sky search,supreme sultan 1, sweet musette,swing town

Schreiner's:
about town,altruist,amity estate,blenheim royal, blue eyed blond,blueberry bliss, copatonic,edith wolford,elainealope,feature attraction,fragrant lilac, fringe benefits,high stakes, maria tormena,mer de sud,merlot,millennium falcon,mulberry punch,neptune's cloak, oregold,orinoco flow,over alaska,princess caroline de monaco,proud tradition,rapture in blue,river hawk,sat night live,sea power,sierra grande,supreme sultan,tempting fate,tide's in,time piece,victoria falls,warrior king,witch's wand

Springhill:
Ocean pacific,peach jam, pink lady(might be jap),sapphire hills

Wayside (most of these were no shows)
black jack, blue suede shoes,dream of you,electric shock, full tide,gnu flash,pride of ireland,romantic ___, sixteen candles,spiced custard, swani princess,tom johnson,world premier,starship interprise,painted cloud,

I was a very busy shopper. : )

Still looking...

Spring Park, MN(Zone 4a)

Have you looked at Rapture in Blue? My photo from Anderson Gardens looks a lot like yours.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi lily_digger,
Haven't seen that pic, but Schreiner's defines Rapture in Blue as blue "self" (solid). My mystery iris "Who" has clean, snow white standards with lt blue falls fading to paler blue at edges. I think that is amoena type.

So far, other than Dover Beach, Sierre Grande is looking best for this.

Guys, I hate to complicate this further BUT...check out the attached pic. When this bloomed I was suprised because (1) it's not my type and (2) I could not figure out why I put it where it clashes with everything around it. BTW, it's rosy brown, not purple (camera error). Label says: Feature Attraction. I think we can all agree that it is not Feature Attraction. AND, it's from Schreiner's (which really is a surprise to me). So, in theory, "Who" could be just about anything...sniffle, sniffle...

Sheryl

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ok, don't see photo, resending.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You did have a good time, even though you were having some trouble. My suggestion is to remove all of those iris who obviously aren't your iris and start from there.

It's certainly NOT 'Feature Attraction'.
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/TBI/FEAT

If it's from Schreiner's guesses are 'Footloose'
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/TBI/FOOT
Or 'Prince of Burgundy'
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/II/PRIB
I'm not sure if these are right, but I went to Schreiners website and put 'Plicata' into the search engine.

This message was edited May 12, 2005 2:47 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just a thought from an amateur: could they have sent you one as a bonus and perhaps it's not even on the list? Good luck. I'm sitting here watching the mystery unravel.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

pirl - It's a very good thought - and we're mostly amateurs. Lists also change from year to year. There is a good chance though that it's one of these two. We'll see.

Schreiner's offerings stay pretty stable. One nice thing about them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oops. I wasn't trying to change the subject to "who is this new iris." I was trying to make the point that since "Feature" is something other than what I ordered, then "Who" could also be something that's not on the list. However, I am curious about the name of the misfit. Footloose looks good for that one, color is right and yellow beard matches. Actually some of the bonus plants are on the list as they were on the packing slip.

Well at least now that I have compiled this list for you guys, I can use it to update my journal. : )

I sent the pic to Schreiners to see if they can id it for me. Worth a try.

I may have to try doss's suggestion and buy Dover Beach, Skylark's Song, Sierra Grande, and anything else that looks like it, plant them all near it (this time with LABELS) and see if something matches.

Sheryl

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

it to new for dover beach it has round big falls

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, you guys have convinced me. I'm giving up on Dover Beach. Besides, a review of my journal indicates I probably don't even have Dover Beach after all.

So, tazzy, do you think it could be Sierra Grande? I can't find many pics of Sierra Grande. Vendor pic and description indicate a darker color for the falls. Other than that, it looks good including, as doss pointed out, the fact that the description indicates that falls are lighter around edge (as mine).

Scutler: When I saw your post, initially, I thought it looked familiar. I was big on irises back in '95. Finally found my index cards and photos: I do believe I'm right about it being RUFFLED BALLET and it's on your list from Cooley's where I got mine.

Please let me know if it matches where you placed it in your garden.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

While looking at the photos here of 'Ruffled Ballet'. You're right pirl, it's very close.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/36356/index.html

Coming from you, doss, that's a compliment.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Aw, schuks, we all have a piece of the puzzle, right?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

pgirl,

I was SO eager for it to be Ruffled Ballet. But, from the photo in the link provided by doss (a gorgeous photo I might add), Ruffled Ballet has a prominent lt yellow beard while "who's" beard is light blue. Also from the photo, Ruffled Ballet's falls appear lighter in the middle, slightly darker around the edges; mine are exactly the opposite. : (

But, I will add it to the list of possibles. Thanks, so much to you and to all who are trying to help solve this puzzle.

I think, except for the color of the falls, I am still leaning heavily toward Sierra Grande.

OMG, just noticed that in my journal I show Ruffled Ballet's location as "front corner of blue iris bed". Well, "Who" is definitely located on the front of the blue iris bed. "Corner", is, however, a bit ambiguous as bed is not square.

Hmm,

Sheryl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.