Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A very deep colored one.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A lovely reddish/maroon colored one.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, hemlady, you sure have a lot of variety in columbines.
They all look so pretty, different colors and different shapes and types.
Carol

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Carol. I will save a lot of the seed. If you want some, let me know.

Cindy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I sure would like some seed.
I really like the pink ones and the Nora Barlowe.
I have a pretty white one, different pink one and several dark purple/white ones. I also have some yellow columbine seed that was sent to me by a DG this spring.
I need to take some more pictures of my columbines, tho they are just about getting done here in Oregon.
Just let me know what you want for the seed.
Thanks,
Carol

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I would like some of your yellow columbine seed. I only have the one yellow and yours is probably different than mine.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Fine, I would be glad to send you some of the yellow seed.
I just looked at the seed. It says "pale yellow" and I have about ~100 seeds maybe.
Just let me know. I am going to try to plant some of the seed but according to what I have read here at DG, they need some cold. So maybe will do it this fall.
Carol

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Great. Let's wait till fall and we will exchange some seeds.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Carol,

They may be just about done on your side of the hill, but over here in the hinterlands, they are just getting started LOL

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Argh! I had ONE columbine ready to bloom (lots of seedlings, though), and the deer came along and munched it! I only have two blooms left on it. I really love living in an area with deer, but I hate it when they treat my yard as a buffet. The old catch 22....

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A couple more to share, a lovely red.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

And a quite large bloom on this blue one. Notice the size compared to the others around it.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Cindy, you sure do have some very nice columbines! Fall time sounds great. Will make a note of it. Thanks.
Sharvis, yes, you are colder and drier over there on the other side of the mountains, lol! I still have columbines blooming but some are about done.
Carol

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I was a fan of columbine already, but you guys are killing me! This is enough to start another insane quest to get my hands on every variety I can find! I added a vulgaris variety called 'Lime Sorbet' this year and can't wait to see it bloom. It should reach 4-5' and has pendulous white blooms with a green tint. I love hanging blooms when they're tall enough for me to see them.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That sounds wonderful gemini. Be sure to take some pics of it.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A couple more lovelies to share.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A lovely 2 color lavender

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

And this is a neat one that I never noticed before. I had to lift it up to show the underside which is silver tipped.

This message was edited May 30, 2005 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by hemlady
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh my gosh, hemlady! You've got a treasure trove of Columbine beauties blooming! I'd certainly have a difficult time choosing a favorite because they are ALL so lovely! Your silver tipped one is so cute and dainty. What a great Spring you are having in your garden!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Shirley. It is hard to pick a favorite. I can't say that I do have one right now, but I sure got excited on Saturday. I was sitting on my back porch admiring all of them, when a hummer wizzed by and started getting nectar from the red and white one. It stayed on it and didn't bother with the other colors. That made my day because I don't seen them too often in my area, being in the city.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

You'll probably be visited by that little hummer plenty. It seems like they like to return to a good buffet!

I've had the occasional columbine that behaves like a biennial. When it happens they grow great leaves the first year, bloom beautifully the second, and dissapear. Out of the same packet of seed, some were permanent. Do any of you observe this?

Come to think about it, yes there were lots of foliage last year and this Spring they have been flowering profusely! I'm sure that they have probably dropped seeds on the ground to begin the whole process again!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

This thread just gave me a nice idea. I have a friend that is more extravagant than I am and would totally indulge in these plants. So this fall I'm going to divide a couple of mine and bring them on over to her house. Something like this might just get her here.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

This nursery I found has tons of columbine and heuchera if anyone is interested in checking them out. http://www.longviewgardens.com/perennials.asp

Cindy

Thanks for the link, Cindy, but it doesn't help gardeners who don't live near Kansas City, MO. "Our Longview Gardens Catalog is an informative, educational listing of plants that are sold here, at Longview Gardens. Note: We currently do not offer online sales."

That wonderful, Karrie! I'm sure your friend will really appreciate you sharing your Columbine with her. Gardeners are the nicest people!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

getting her here.....................

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sorry Shirley, I did find that out after I had already posted the link. I emailed the nursery and they told me the same thing. I will try to post another link of one that does sell mail order.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/index.html This site Bluestone Perennials has both a lot of different columbine and coral bells if anyone is interested. They have some columbine that I have not seen before and they do mail order.

Great! That's a very good and reasonably priced website. I'll definitely need to check out Bluestone Perennials for their Columbine & Heuchera.

Thanks again!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You are welcome.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've always heard good things about Bluestone. :-)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is another great nursery. Look at the pic of the coral bells I just received. I ordered two and they sent me an extra one as a bonus. Here is the link. www.perennialnursery.com

Thumbnail by hemlady
(Zone 7a)

Just found this thread - I really am enjoying everyone's pics and experiences with such a wide variety of columbine.

May I contribute my 2 cents regarding germinating columbine seed? In the past, when I have sown columbine seed close to the time when it matured on the plant, I have gotten excellent germination without cold stratification. I just break open the dry pod right off the plant and sow it directly in a protected spot of ground (stick tee-pees). I suspect that columbine may be one of those plants whose seeds develop enzymes that inhibit germination as time passes after they mature in the pod - thus the need for cold stratification later on in the following fall or spring.

Soooo...could I persuade anyone on this thread to trade some of their collected seed when our pods mature in a few weeks?

I will have seed of Black Barlow, which is a very double, spurless, granny-bonnet type with very black flowers - they look black purple, but when back lit by sun they look like incandescent black-maroon, instead. I have given away most of the volunteer seedlings from Black Barlow and will have to wait until next spring to see what the remaining ones do. I understand columbines are known for crossing with each other quite freely in the garden, but am only growing Black Barlow right now, so am hoping for flowers similarly shaped but with different colors next spring.

Would love to swap for white columbines - single with long spurs most preferable to me, but any other white one okay.

edited to say: Would also be happy to send seed I collect to anyone who asks. Would it be acceptable for me to ask anyone requesting seed to send enough stamps to cover cost of postage and cost of the 50 cent bubble envelope? Shirley, you have experience - if so, how many stamps would that be?

I hope these questions are not too stupid - have not mailed out seed yet, and have been blocked by cost of padded envelopes and inability to find local source of those small glassine or plastic envelopes for the seed. We do not do any financial transactions over the internet. Shirley and anyone else, thank you for any advice to get me started - I have saved a lot of seed from various plants. Shirley, you have email.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 8:12 PM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

bluespiral, I do the exact same thing you do with the seed. I just sprinkle it on top of the ground. It always seem to come up in the spring. I will be saving plenty of seed.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Bluespiral,
I have a white one. It isn't the tallest but is sure a pretty flower. The seed is starting to set now so am waiting for all the columbines to finish their job this spring/summer.
So I would love to trade white for your Black Barlow.
Let me know.
Carol

(Zone 7a)

Carol - would love to trade. Thank you.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

This is an interesting and fun experiment. I have native columbine, nora barlow, Songbird bunting and (I think* off of the top of my head) Cardinal bunting. Songbird is blue, cardinal is pink/red. I will check for pods tomorow. I do believe Nora is in pod for sure. Of course, that is if anyone wants to trade for these! :)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Bluespiral,
The picture of my white one is posted above if you want to see what it looks like. The picture isn't the best.
So I will write down your name along with Hemlady to trade with.
Sue, I would like to trade with you too, if you want. I do only have one white one but I do have a few other columbines too.
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.