Columbine Are In Their Glory

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

My latest Columbine is "Origami Yellow".

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

I grew this one from seed. This is the first year it's flowering.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

I really like this one, but I wish that the flowers were facing upwards!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Shirley,
I know what you mean about the flower facing upwards! I would love to look at the real blossoms. Here are pics of 2 columbines. I also took a picture of a dark purple one but the picture was blurry due to the wind.

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is the white one.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I forgot I had a picture of the whole plant of the purple one. Not the best pic. I hope to get a single pic. of the purple flower tho soon when it ever stops raining.

Abbotsford, BC(Zone 8a)

I am new to perennials and really love all the pics of the Columbines that have been posted here....here is a pic of my neighbours....this is the second year for it....

Sandy

Thumbnail by sandy130

What beautiful Columbine you both posted! I love the colors and especially that you can see the "face" of each bloom! Plus, I really love the looong spurs that you are showing us Sandy. I hope your neighbor will share some of those very colorful plants, so that you can enjoy them in your garden too!

Abbotsford, BC(Zone 8a)

yeah its quite a showy one i thought.....I hope I can coerce her into sharing some seeds with me....that would be nice to add to the garden!

Sandy

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a purple one. I love your neighbor's columbine, Sandy!!! I hope you will encourage your neighbor to collect some seed and try them in your yard.

Thumbnail by hgurule
Abbotsford, BC(Zone 8a)

hgurule,

That purple is very pretty...I like the white in there with it....all the ones here are just so nice..like a kid in a candy store, you dont know which you would like best!.....Yes i hope she will share some of the seeds with me....

Sandy

Beautiful hgurule! I believe your Columbine is part of the "Winky Mix". Columbine are such charming plants!

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Here is one I just got this year, 'Crimson Star'. It's still in a pot cause I haven't been able to plant it out yet, but that hasn't kept it from blooming its little head off. 8=} I love columbines too.

Thumbnail by sharvis

Your "Crimson Star" is gorgeous! Love those long spurs too!

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Shirley,

We have the same or similar columbine as the one you show in the third photo from the top. You wrote, "I really like this one, but I wish that the flowers were facing upwards!" I agree.

Has anyone ever planted/moved columbines to a hanging basket? I thought I read about that somewhere, but can't remember where. The purpose was to show off the down-facing flowers.

I never thought of adding Columbine to a hanging basket. Would you then plant them in your garden after the Fall season?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love columbines and the pics are lovely. Garden Crossings is offering 2 varieties this year that have upward facing blooms that look like double clematis that are calling me. They don't have the spurs I love so much but they sure are cool.

Thanks gemini_sage! I'll definitely have to check them out!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So many pretty Columbines! This is a rather plain white one, but I like it.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's another nameless one that reseeds around my garden.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Oooh--I'm realy enjoying your Columbine pics. I love tucking them into shady areas for a little more color & the soft foliage.

Nora Barlow

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

You all are gonna get me into BIG trouble with all those pics. I am feeling the need for lots and lots of columbine. Where are you getting all those gorgeous varieties from?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I bought this one yesterday at our local farmer's market. For $2 I couldn't resist. Does anyone know the name of it? I don't know if you can tell but the color is almost black with the white outside and yellow center. I am not the best photographer - I think that is evident. LOL

-Kim

Thumbnail by bluekat76

Kim, could it possibly be Columbine, "William Guiness". Take a look and let me know. http://www.jelitto.com/english/AA783.htm

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My yellow columbine, before I moved away from that home...

Thumbnail by darius
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Another view...

(Can you tell I love them?)

Thumbnail by darius

Beautiful! You've got twins!

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I have buds... I am anxiously awaiting blooms this year! I started a whole bunch from seed (Origami and McKanna Giants), and ordered some from Bluestone. Anyone know if those will bloom the first year?

Zarebeth, probably they will bloom next year.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I, too, have a yellow columbine. Will these come true from seeds?

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I know the seeds will, but I wanted to know about the ones I ordered. If they won't bloom this year, I guess I should have just stuck with seeds! :-(

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi Shirley,

That has to be them. Thank you! I am sure they will be reseeding themselves all over for next year:) See you at the RU!

-Kim

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

As to columbines in a hanging basket, do you think a pot-in-a-pot system would be too risky on winter killing them? In the spring, pull the pot, put it in a basket. Place a temporary annual filled pot in the hole. Put the columbine (still in the pot) back in its wintering pot in the fall.

Would be a bit of work obviously, but it might be a pretty spectacular hanging pot.

Jefe

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I love these. This one is becoming my favorite, Wild Columbine or Native Columbine Aquilegia canadensis. This photo is from last season, it is twice the size this year.

Thumbnail by Sue_WA

Jefe, I don't see why you couldn't put them in a hanging basket. I like the idea of putting them in a pot and then adding them to the basket. That way you can add another annual for color, foliage, or change of season, if the Columbine is no longer flowering or it is wintering. I think it would would look lovely!

Sue, I love the Wild or Native Columbine. What a beautiful perennial that really lights up a shady garden! The two toned colors are gorgeous!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I should visit this forum more often. I just love perennials. So does Russ - but he also likes annuals because they bloom all summer long. Here's a pic of one of my Columbines that I took last year. It is blooming again now, but is being hidden from a gigantic lupin that wanted to take over. I'm not even sure if I could get a picture of it now.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, my, Karrie,
This is a very pretty one.
I like the different color of pink-rose.
Carol

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The strangest columbine of all must be A. viridiflora....green and brown. Not only is the colour unique but the flowers are fragrant as well! (I guess it has to have SOMETHING working in its favour!)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

shirley and everybody---thanks for all the wonderful columbine pics. I had no idea that there is such a range of flower color and form in them...

I was wondering if they are difficult to grow from seed? It would be fun to start a colection of them---and I'm assuming they like part shade or all shade, is that correct?

thanks for posting. t.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi Tabasco,

I have not started any from seed but I do know they don't have trouble reseeding themselves. I am sure everyone here will have some they can dig out next year! :) Mine are in mostly full sun, some shade. I like the plant when it is not in bloom also as it makes a nice mound.

Enjoy - Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.