Do peat pots really decompose?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Do peat pots really decompose when planted in soil?

I have grown about 8 coleus from seed in peat pellets and they are ready for pots now. I want to put them in small peat pots and then in regular pots. I have been told to score the sides of the peat pots with a knife because the roots won't grow through. However, when I do tha, it just pushes alot of peat material to the inside of the pot and I don't see how that would work.

I really want to be good to these coleus, so does anyone know how well these little peat pots decompose n regular soil?

Thanks,

Maureen

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I cut out the bottoms out of mine when planting, as well as cut gashes in the sides.....they do decompose/compost over time, but it takes a good long while.
Good luck :-)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Amen Rikerbear!!!!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

NO!

Jeanette

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Ah....cutting the bottom out is a great idea....thanks for all the input guys!

Maureen

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Glad to be of some help :-)

Marc

Kerrville, TX

My experience with the Jiffy peat pots has not been very encouraging. It seems that the grow mix of the peat pots is more capable of holding moisture than most of the soil mixes that I am transplanting to. So the roots of the transplants tend to just stay within the peat pot for an extended period of time rather than grow out into the "drier" mix I wont the plants to grow in. I have much better luck by not only cutting off the pots net but shaking the plant roots free of the jiffy stuff when I transplant. Most of the plants I am growing require a more open free draining mix and planting the fully intact peat pot in that mix slows down root growth.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

That's true of the peat 'pellets' (netted peat) but the peat 'pots' are much much tougher for plant roots to break through.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I dump the plant out of the peat pot- just like it is a plastic one- and reuse.. the stinkin things seem to last just as long....

Heather

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wanted to add that for plants with stronger roots, like the summer squash & cukes I started in peat pots last year, they work just fine. You'll be able to tell if the roots can push through the pot or not by the time you're ready to transplant.... my zucchini plants grew their roots right out the walls of the pots and through half the flat in record time!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've tilled my garden under in October and peat pots emerge unscathed from the ground. The plants I tend to start from seed inside do not benefit from peat...I quit using it in any form years ago.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I dump mine also and let the old pots dry out. Then use an old food processer that chops them up like peat moss. Use that to amend soil. No waste.
Do the same with foam shipping peanuts.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I guess my question is answered! :) I thought those pots looked a bit tough to decompose or let coleus roots through.

thanks all!

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Surely the point is that the peat must be moist to very moist, then the roots will follow the moisture in the interstices between the fibres of peat. If your garden is naturally dry then special watering around planted peat pots are required.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Ted,

You chop up foam shipping peanuts in an old food processer?

~* Robin

PS: Did you need any of those seeds I sent?

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Marc,

Are the teddy bears growing?

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.