Look at who popped up after seven days! ;)

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Here are my first two Luffa cylindricas from our favorite Zonie! When she sent me the seeds, Jo (roadrunner) wrote:

Quoting:
I clip the corners of the gourd seeds [which she drew a diagram of] & soak over night before starting the seed in cups - or just put them in the ground.

As you can see from the cotyledons, I nicked the seed coat a little too roughly, but that sure didn't stop them from showing up! I also soaked them a bit longer (36-48 hours) because, well, the weather was nice the next day and I forgot.

Thank you, Jo!

*HUGS*
Donna

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti

lots of hopes are tied up in those little babies.. I can hardly wait to see what they want to be when they grow up. Do you have plans for them?

Oh, yes!!! I have a north/south fenceline in full sun all lined up for them, and look forward to having to search for threads on how to properly harvest, dry, and put the fruit into use.

The long term plan? Seems like they'd be great Christmas presents for the family in a year or two, along with seeds and instructions so they could grow their own.

And on the short term? We wanna have enough to stop buying either real or synthetic versions from the grocery store.

Crossville, TN

Oh Donna...I am so proud of my babies...now...how about if you just take this picture and put it in the PF like Terry wanted us to?? We have to be good guardians of our area of the PF!!

I gave some of my harvested louffa to Farizona's cousin...and she returned some to me with home made Lavender soap in them...sliced in about 1" rounds. I always thought about putting one in a pringle can and pouring the soap in, let it set, and peel the pringles can off and slice it...Works good in the bath. Jo

But, but, Jo! I wanna send a pretty pic to the PlantFiles, not one with scars! LOL

And yes, I will consider submitting my pic with the comments above, as it could help future seed starters. Germination on your seeds is great, Jo, and the third of the three I started is gonna pop up soon. I know, because I dug down a bit and saw the green, so I think I just planted him a bit deeper than the others. :)

MHO,.. the scars & your note are very valuable & you should post it just that way...Perfection is wonderful but inperfection can be very interesting! (said the serpent to Eve) RutRoh!!!!

Crossville, TN

I think I have bumped up a good thread that had a lot of info about that. Jo

LOL at angele!

I got so excited about my luffas that I forgot to comment about the soap-filled sponges. What an innovative idea and wonderful gift! I have lavendar seeds that I wanted to start, too. Hmmm. :)

Jo, the PF entry for luffas seems to be quite complete with photo entries. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/712/index.html Tell ya what I'll do, though. When the plants put on their first two sets of true leaves, I'll take another pic and see if I can manipulate the two images into a "before and after" pic to demonstrate how resilient the plants are, and then submit that.

How long do you think it will be until I see the true leaves? Couple of weeks?

Crossville, TN

or less....I love gourds!! and Louffas!! LOL Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.