Plant combinations

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Many times I pass a yard that just stands out from the rest. Plant combinations can sometimes just reach out visually and grab you. For instance, dusty miller looks great with salmon colored flowers or blue. I had some kind of blue bell shaped flowers, dusty miller, and white alyssum that was a knockout combination.(This happened accidentally so I thought maybe I should plan it). This year I am putting red, white, orange and yellow lilies and daylilies together with white alyssum edges. Another bed will have pink and purple daylilies, shasta daisys, pink malva and white alyssum. What do you plant together for maximum color effect?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5a)

I think this is a nice subject. Please look at this picture

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=67979&a=496599&p=11777452

I will come back later to tell how I work with combinations.

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

Pauline, That is just beautiful. What is the grass on the right with the purplish tint?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, Pauline. I hope you will identify what we see there. I recognize some of them. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

Schenevus, NY

someone just told me about Photopoint. You can add text to a picture so that when your mouse goes over it, you'll see it. This yr i will get some pictures up, right now all you would see is lumps of snow.
Last yr i entered my photos into my computer(with no back up)the thing crashed,pictures cannot come out. I have heard of a service that can retrieve but it pretty expensive and geared more for business records. oh well live and learn or not learn.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mary and Mick.
From the right: the purple grasss is Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'; the purple little flower in the front are Alyssum. At the back of those is a Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry'. It blooms late. Back of 'Moudry' is a Salvia verticillata 'Purple Rain' with a Spiraea X bumalda 'Limemound' . At the back of the Spiraea the white trumpet flower are Datura. There is some Nicotiana 'Lime Green' , a pink color too. In front of them, there is Helichrysum 'Limelight'. The feather effect plant with bronze color is Purple Fennel. The Ornemental at the left is a Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Overdam'.
Here a other picture where I play with a lot of shade of yellow-green,soft pink and purple.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=67979&a=7504063&p=25580085

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Pauline, this is beautiful.Thak you for sharing it with all of us. You certainly have an eye for form and color. Now if I could do half as well....

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Pauline I love that combo it is so goregous!

Pauline,
Your garden is absolutely gorgeous and breath taking! This spring I'll be dividing my purple fountain grass and putting it in other areas. I can see from your pics how lovely it will look mixed in with the flowers.

Dene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.