Plum tree question.

Rensselaer, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi...I am fairly new to gardening. Because of that I was not aware of needing to plant two of some trees for pollination. Last year I bought from Gurneys a Superior Plum tree. In checking this year I find I need another tree for pollination. There website recommends an Alderman or wild plum for this. But, I do not want to plant a tree that is going to get really tall...that was why I ordered this one.

Would I get cross-pollination if I just order another Superior tree?

Thanks, Jodi

Rensselaer, IN(Zone 5a)

In further reading, I just found that what I planted is not a small tree. That Standard plum gets 10-25 feet in height! Yikes...I may be moving it in a couple of years. Can anyone recommend something small I can plant near it for pollination?

Thanks, Jodi

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Superior is a Japanese Plum. It requires a second pollinator, but any other japanese plum will do the trick. My favorite is the golden yellow Shiro. All of them come in dwarf form. I f you prefer a second red plum, Santa Rosa or Burbank.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

RainTree Nursery has some great varieties of Japanese Plums, all dwarf. I love the Weeping Santa Rosa. It's also a good pollinator.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.