Propogating a rose

Linden, TN

I have a wonderful old timey rose that smells perfectly heavenly, and will send out side shoots and for new plants. I dug up some of the side shoots... and messed up the root a bit...See the picture.. If I place this in water, do you think it migh grow more roots? I also have several cuttings from new growth that I have placed in water..

This rose came from an old homestead here in Tennessee and grows into a very large bush with arching canes. It has bazillions of roses each spring and perfumes the air like no other I have ever seen.
Here is a photo of the one I dug up today..

Carolyn

Thumbnail by Gardennuttz
Linden, TN

Here is what the rose looks like...

Thumbnail by Gardennuttz
Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Hey Caroline, The chances your rose will set roots properly in water are far less than if you use rooting hormone and put it in potting soil. I don't know how big your cutting is but larger cuttings can't support themselves. They need a lot of roots to take in nourishment and water. That's one of the reasons grafted roses are so sucessful. A larger top can be developed faster since a root system already exists. Jessamine

Linden, TN

I shall try with smaller cuttings and rooting hormone and potting soil.. and pray for a bit of guidance from above..

Thank you for your help Jessamine.... I appreciate it..

Blessings,
Carolyn

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I'd plant those cuttings wiht some rooting powder and keep them moist... they might make it. I have a old rose that is the easiet thing to do that with. It's an old unamed thing and like yours it blooms like carzy and comes up like runners.

MsC

Stick them in soil, but then put the whole thing in a plastic bag.

Try this site http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html . Wonderful directions!!

I have started at least a dozen cuttings recently doing it that way and it works beautifully. (I had 5 set roots in 2 weeks!)

This message was edited May 3, 2005 9:28 PM

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Here ya go,, maybe this will help some.

PLANTING THE CUTTING:
· Fill a 1-gallon zip lock baggie 1/4 to 1/3 full (about 3") with STERILE loose potting mix. (e.g., 1/2 peter's potting soil and 1/2 vermiculite). A 2-gallon ziplock baggie may be better since it will give the leaves more room, but use the same depth of soil you'd use in a 1-gallon baggie, since you'll be watching for roots growing through it, later.
· Moisten the mix but do not make it extremely wet. Use 1 tsp. miracle gro per 1 quart of water, to provide some initial nutrients (which may help avoid yellowing and leaf-drop). With your hands, firm the soil down well, within the baggie. The soil should be very damp, but there should be no standing water in the bottom.
· Snip off the stem a little above the top-most leaf set (i.e., remove the flowering part). Try to leave about 1/2" of cane above the top leafset.
· Strip off the bottom two sets of leaves (where the stem will be pushed into the soil).
· Score the bottom part of the stem along its length (vertically) for an inch or so. (An exacto-knife works nicely for this purpose, but fingernails will do fine.) Roots will form along this score.
· Dip scored end of cutting into rooting compound, a couple inches deep. Knock off the excess (you can get too thick a layer). Stick the cutting a couple of inches into the soil.
· If insects have eaten the leaves during previous rooting attempts, you may wish sprinkle a very small amount of diazinon or other insecticide on the soil surface. Be especially careful if you are using chemicals indoors.
· Mist the cutting and the interior surfaces of the baggie with a spray bottle filled with the following mix (to avoid fungus and mildew growth in the closed "terrarium" environment). Do not use spraycan fungicides or insecticides ... in the closed environment, the chemicals can overwhelm then kill a new young plant. 1 quart water 1 tsp. miracle gro 1 tsp. baking soda (no more!) 2-3 drops dishwashing liquid (to make it cling)
· Zip baggie almost shut. Breathe into it 'til it expands kinda like a balloon, and zip the rest of the way closed. (Keep it closed unless it deflates enough to warrant breathing into it again.)
· Put in bright, INDIRECT light - (e.g., behind sheers in a southeast-facing window) WARNING!!! if it gets direct sun or too much heat it will scorch (eventually turning black) and likely die! You may have to experiment a bit to find the best exposure; you might hedge your bets by placing some in different locations until you find the best spot for your house.
· Clear away any leaves that might drop from the stem, reinflating the baggie after removing them.
POTTING THE CUTTING:
· Look for roots along the bottom of the baggie in two or three weeks. A few stubborn ones may take six weeks, and there is a report of one incredibly obstinate plant that took over 10 weeks!
· Acclimation to air outside the bag is tricky. To be careful, (1) when you see some top growth, unzip the baggie just a little for a few hours the first day, then seal it up again. (2) For the next few days, unzip the baggie the same amount, but leave it open for a few more hours each day. (3) Next, leave it open all the time, but increase the amount the bag is unzipped each day for about a week, until it's fully open. Don't rush it.
· Put good soil into a 1-gallon pot, leaving room for the addition of the new plant and its soil. Place the baggie atop the soil, and cut the plastic away (this can be slightly tricky). Firm the soil around the plant only very lightly.
· Keep the same lighting in the same location (protected from too much direct sun) for a week, leaving the cutting unmolested to give its disturbed roots a chance to heal.
PLANTING OUTDOORS:
· After they have spent a week in their pots, you can either move them into more light inside for the first winter), or (preferably) move them outside.
· When moved outside, set them in indirect sun at first, bright but shaded, and leave them there for a week. (If your area gets cold at night, you may need to move them inside at night for a while.) The next week, move the plant bit by bit toward and then into full sun. (Note: Gro-lights don't normally put out nearly enough light for roses, though it can probably be done.)
· When kept inside for their first winter, especially in zones 5 and below, place them in a spot where they'll get more light. (When planted outside in the same summer they were rooted, even with a heavy mulch, many more will be lost to winter kill since the new little roses won't always have enough roots to carry them through. Also, chinooks (intense, warm winds) do their damage too. By keeping them inside for their first winter, and planting them in the spring, they will be better-established by the next fall.)
· Plant late enough to avoid those nasty springs that get warm, causing the roses to break dormancy, only to follow up with a hard freeze!
· Remember that your rose will grow in size; prepare a good-sized area of soil with added organic material as appropriate to your locale.
Cheryl Netter has a World Wide Web page with three descriptions on how to root roses using softwood cuttings. They can be found by going to the URL, http://nexus.interealm.com/p/cnetter/rose_tour/index.html . Cheryl Netter's WWW home page with some excellent rose pictures and information is located at the URL, http://nexus.interealm.com/p/cnetter .

Vicki

Linden, TN

Wow Vicki, that should keep me going for awhile.... thank you so much... I will try doing some in a baggie... and I believe I have just the perfect spot in the sunroom to keep them too... No sun, but bright natural light.. ...

Blessings,
Carolyn

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for this info!!!!! I have done it differently and it took couple months. I am def trying this as soon as possible!! ~ Suzi :)

Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

Hey, thanks for the info. I have been wanting to know how to propogate roses and have been looking for awhile now. Both dstartz and vwetzel are going to help me do it!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Sunnyskies,
Keep us posted!!! I am going to try this too. Have previously stuck rose cuttings in front bed and covered w/2 ltr bottle w/top removed. Had success, but this sounds MUCH better.

Will be able to watch and make sure there are roots! There was always top growth before and was never sure when the roots came. Thought had some couple times and gave them away prematurely - How embarrassing! Fortunately they made it, but...

Good Luck!! Thank you dstartz and vwetzel for the extremely helpful site w/pictures and all the information!! You are all a blessing! ~ Suzi :)

Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

I sure will keep you posted BriarRose (and I love that name by the way) I just got finished planting the burm that I made last Saturday. I put in a Peony, lupine, delphinium, coreopsis, columbine, basket of gold and galliardia (?) I will pick up some low growers for the front and I planted a japanese maple behind it.
Now for the shrub roses and burning bush. I guess the tomatoes better get in too! Oh boy I'm tired.

Sunnyskies

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

dstartz
Thank you so much for that link...I used to have it bevor my computer crashed last year ....this time I should print it so I will be able to look it up for reference.

Vicky,
Thank You for these explicit directions.....I am game but have to wait for a while to take some cuttings,
Brigitte

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Well???!!!

Guess what?! I got roots!! Did anyone else??!! This is from second tries... the first ones were inside, apparently not enough light. Then did it again, outside, so there was plenty of light. And, now roots too!! ~ Suzi :)

Congratulations!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

dstartz,
It worked!! Yep, I'm still excited! Going to be doing some more that way for sure. Actually, I kind of altered it a little too, figured, put into a clear plastic cup inside the bag, so when I moved them, wouldn't disturb the roots. Then, put couple cups in same bag. It worked... will try acclimating them this weekend.

You got them in 2 wks?! I didn't even check for roots till last night, a month later. Guess I didn't want to be disappointed! Was super disappointed when found black on them the time before, prob not enough light in window. ~ Suzi :)

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

That is GREAT,I am so happy for you :-))) JUHUUUUUUUUU

BTW wish me luck because I also did some ,but mine are in plasticbags .Did them a week ago,at least 12 bags....will do more as I am really exited about this whole idea

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Good Luck!! I know you can do it!!! ~ Suzi :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.