Gerba Daisy seeds?

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

My DIL gave me a lovely potted one and now the blooms are drying up and are covered with white puffy things. I think they are seeds. Can I sow these...and how?
Pati

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi! My husband does a lot from seeds and Gerbera is trickier than others. I remember him saying each seed is buried to just 3/4 of it's length per the packet but then he had NO success. Our books say to cover lightly. Cold treatment not needed but temperature 68-77 to germinate which takes two to four weeks.

Second book says lay the seed on the surface (does not mention covering) in late spring when the soil is warm, spaced 12 to 18" apart, full sun: part shade where summers are very hot. Soil prefers rich, moist, slightly acidic soil.

Good luck - we never had success no matter how we tried.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much for your reply. Well, we had a gusty wind come up late yesterday and it blew the plant over and all the seeds left on the wind! So I guess the people west of me might have a surprise later. *grin* I have never grown any kind of seeds, so I guess starting with a hard plant would be a mistake.
Pati

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.