Prices for named varieties?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

What are you paying for named varieties of coleus? Another DGer and I were discussing this on a different thread. She said she saw them for $4.59 at 2 different nurseries. Is this high?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/493496/#new

I just got a six pack of mix Kongs for $3.99 they were small about 2" high. I then paid 2.99 for a Kingswood Torch in a 4" pot. It was about 6" high.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

They wiil all be liike that in just a year or so. They root so easy and are so clorful with out a bloom!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Gang, if we keep this up, DG's PF will start listing it as a weed......LOLOLOLOL

Hap

I got named 6-packs at big private nursery for $2. They had named Kongs 3 to a pot for $12. The Flume in 4" pot for $3.
Just looked in Charlotte, NC. Only 1 curly deep red w/ name $4. Didn't get cause I have 9-pack of same un-named back in Jax. Perrila Magilla is abundant here.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, HD has a bunch of perilla and all that it is doing is growning. Nobody seems to want it. It's in a 6" and now about 24". The display has been there for several weeks. I forget how much they are. It's named too.

So that was the noise I heard.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HUH?

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

The perilla was 'growning'... hehehe. Is that another term for growing pains? ;)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

It seems that the coleus varieties (like Kong and the Wizard series) that can be started from seed are more reasonably priced. For the coleus varieties that can only be propagated through cuttings, the prices are considerably higher. But coleus are "hot" in the gardening community right now and my local nurseries are showing tons of varieties compared to previous years.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I never could spell.............Sorry folks...you sorta got the message. Evidently I have trouble reading too or I would have spotted it... Oh well......I'm so glad I'm amoungst friends.....

Love to all.

Hap

I hear a lot of plants in garden centers. Usually it's a weak "help"..."water-me".

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Boy sugarweed you are right about that. I am beginning to "cruise" my garden centers and the waste is unbelievable and it's down-right stupidity. They these dummys standing around while their charges are, as you said, calling help, Feed Me.............. My usual run, which are all in a merciful row, remember I hate to drive, are Target, Wallyworld, Lowes and HD. All of them are the same....

Good morning everyone....

Hap

Chicago, IL

Good Morning Mommy. Don't get lost today.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Posy,

Schedule.

9:45 leave home
10:30 meet Molly
12: Lunch with Molly
Then home.

Will have my phone this time. I love you.

Chicago, IL

Oppps Good morning everyone. Can I move my tulips around? If so when?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Posy,

You are in the wrong forum. Go to Perennials.

Mommy

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, somehow we never lose that "Mommy" tone of voice even when we write!!
Pati

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL...you two are too cute! Enjoy your day Hap!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Molly and I had a wonderful day. Where the three hours we spent at that nursery went, I have no idea. We both did OK in the purchasing dept. What a haul. This is the biggest and best nursery that I have seen in the area. It puts HD and everywhere else to shame. I even found a varigated ajuda (?) that will grow down here. It's whitish/mossy green, white and dark pink with a blue flower. We each got a coleus, of course, which we will share and I also got a couple of beautiful begonias, almost canes but a little smaller. We did the lunch thingy and just had fun.

Yes, and I'm still Mommy and she is still my baby, even though she will be 42 next month. I am very fortunate to have 3 loving children. all in their 40's.....my babies.....

Hap

Chicago, IL

But I'm the favorite.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Foley, AL

I pay $1.45 for a 4" pot

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

You are getting named varieties for $1.45? That's amazing. Where are getting them? I may have to make a trip to Foley. LOL

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

regular coleus was .99 a 6 pack but the named ones were only in gallon pots and I didn't ask. My mother always said "If you have to ask you can't afford it." I am sure by what you all are saying I will live without till they become common or my family here trades with me. And I bet The latter would happens first.

I love it hear at DG. My yard is getting smaller all the time. And more Beautiful.

Blessings,
Sandy

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

If you have flea markets in your area check them out. I bought several coleus this weekend. The best bargin was 4 kong mosiac for .80 cents each. I also found Tabasco for $3.00, sedona, $2.50 and a few others that were not tagged. They were all in 4" pots. I'm going to check out a few different flea markets in our area this coming weekend.

Cathy

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I picked up "Swinging Linda", The Flume" and "Freckles" in 3 inch pots for @2.25 each. I grew my own "Black Dragon" this year from seeds and will keep the most colorful ones. Regular Coleus are going for $.99 per 6 pk at local small dealer nurseries.

Will have to go to Harrisburg to get any Kongs - not sure I want any yet.

Do you plant the cutting produced coleus in pots or in the ground? I need something to put in between daylilys, would they or the cheaper ones work?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

se_eds,

Either one would work beautifully. Good luck...

Hap

They grow like crazy, in the ground.
I saw a full grown flume yesterday at "The plant ranch" in a pot with 2 other large leaf, about 2 1/2' tall and wide for the whole thing. These were $24.99 a pot. We can do that! They were impressive.
I have a 4" pot of Flume in the ground.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Good to know I have something to put between the rows of daylily seedlings. Right now it looks like I'm growing corn. LOL

Yes, I want some of these to grow 2 ft. tall. $24.99 a pot means those coleous were over $8.00 each.
Holy cow.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sometimes math does not pay. Plus, you did not consider that it was $22.00 for the pot, so the coleus were only a dollar a piece...........Seeeeeee!!!!!!

Hap

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL - That's the price I like to pay for the plants $1.00 a piece. They say presentation is everything.

Not a plain terra cotta PLASTIC pot!, 14"!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's not 24 k gold trimmed?

When mine are 2' tall, and fluffed out, they will be priceless to me LOL
I think it's more like Size is everything.
Is sealed coleus seed good for more than one season?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar, there is one way to find out!!!!

You must have missed the "Size" discussion on another tread....too funny..

Hap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.