Air Layering - Magnolias?

N. Mississippi, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone knew for a FACT if you can air layer Southern Magnolias? I have been successful with Bradfords and Willows to use just two examples. The Bradfords have to have the top layer of bark removed in a ring in order to root, Willows on the other hand do much better if you do not remove the bark, just cover it in wet moss and wrap. Ok, that said. Which process - if any is best for Magnolias? I would like an answer from experience - not a book. I have those books as well but have had no luck with Magnolias using the books advice. Has anyone out there actually done this? If so, please relay your experience to a frustrated air - layerer that wants to add Magnolias to the "success" list.

Thanks all.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Slgrowers.... I have done some air layering too but not on a Magnolia, but I noticed somebody else has about sections on one of the camp[us trees that they are trying to air layer and when I peaked at it the other day it seems to be working. Doesn't happen to be you does it by any chance? LOL

starlight - Someone has air layering going on camp ground magnolias? lol no, not me but thats not a bad idea. They were rooted when you peeked at em?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Yep they are rooting. They are using the method of trimming the bark off about and inch and half long all around and scraping til ya see the white inside. Then a wet moss pack over the wound. wrap tight with sran wrap and then cover with aluminum foil.

I know when I air layer Ficus it usually takes almost 4 months before I have a good strong root system to be able to detach.

When you were doing yours did you make sure the moss stayed moist and didn't dry out. I always try and check every week to make sure the moss pack is damp. If it has dried out then I just spritz with a water bottle.

Magnolias are slow growers anyways so maybe you didn't allow enough time for it to take. Ya never know what gonna pop up on campus. If I happen to find out who has made them I wil see what they plan on doing with them. I need to go do me some banana shrub tree air layerings.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh just remembered.. did you put some root tone on the wound too be fore wrapping it?

Starlight - all great advice but alas, I have done a lot of air layering and wish the failure was that simple. I did exactly what they did on the Magnolias you have found wrapped. Problem I had was all branches died from the cambiam cut forward to tip. I think it may have been a disease but I have never had that much complete failure with an air layer before and I have done a lot of different species. I was beginning to think Magnolias just wouldnt take. I will try again, this time with fungicide added to the hormone. Thanks for the thread. I can tell you have done some air layering yourself but you mention "peeking" to see if the moss is dry? Dont you know every time you peek it adds a week to the rooting? lol Good luck with your air layers. I think we may be the only two on here using that ancient propogation method.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Slgrower... I wonder if it could be the time of season that the layering is done? Somebody started these about a month ago. The layering is also done about a good two feet back in from the end of the branch. Each layering has new growth all on the end of it. It might be something to consider. Nope, I did not realize , thanks for that tip. I usually just remove the foil and stick a finger in the end of one part of the plastic wrap to see if it dry and then cover back up. Love learning new things. Thanks! : )

I don't have a camera that works, but if at some point I can borrow one, I will try and take a pic of it and maybe that will help ya some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.