Propagation Observation

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I guess everybody hates asking stupid questions, but here goes. Just remember, I have a sixth sense and I CAN HEAR YOU LAUGHING so stop it!

I am new to seed starting. This is the first year I have done it using regular seed-starting supplies. I have used a flat that is 11 x 22, a tray with 20 sections in rows, a tray with 3/4" squares all over it, peat pots and 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" cell packs. Without fail the seeds on the outside of each of these trays germinate first--sometimes 2-3 weeks ahead of the seeds in the middle! I didn't think the middle seeds would ever germinate. I have used a propagation heating mat but not a thermostat.

Why does this happen? Is it cooler or warmer on the ends? (I would think cooler) Is it wetter or drier? (I would think drier) It doesn't appear to have anything to do with light.

Arroyo Grande, CA

I have had the opposite experience. It is usually the ones around the edges that have problems. I have come to the conclusion that the layer of perlite is pretty thin, so those seedlings dry out a little more. But most of the seedlings develop roots very fast that extend almost to be bottom of the cell, so it shouldn't matter. I am switching over to coir to replace the peat, I am wondering if that will make a difference.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Being as inexperienced as I am I don't know what would make a difference. You apparently make your own soilless mix. I bought Sunshine Professional Blend. I am not confident enough to mix my own. Thanks for the input. We truly do have the opposite experience.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.