carrot seedlings pics?

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Can anyone post a picture of some carrot seedlings? I planted some in my garden, and there were heavy rains, so I'm not sure if a few of the sprouts are carrots, or if they are all just random weeds. Thanks!
-Mara

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Hiya neighbor! Here's a pic courtesy my alma mater... lol... never expected to see it in a Google search! ;)

http://courses.smsu.edu/cma545f/Vegetable_Production/Vegetable_ID_Web/Seed_and_Seedling_ID.htm#Carrot

Donna

Hi! hmmm, not the seedlings that I have sprouting up. Oh well, I'll try again!
Thanks!
-Mara

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's my carrot seedlings , although they all pretty much look the same.

If you pinch off a piece of the leaf and taste it, it will taste like carrots.

Thumbnail by melody

Thanks melody. Nope, mine must not have germinated, because I don't have anything that looks like those. :(
-Mara

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The seed leaves..(cotyledons) look different...they are just two little strips of leaves...no fluffy stuff...kinda looks like grass. The true leaves...the divided ones, emerge quickly though. My carrots came up in about a week if that helps.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here are the cotyledons of carrot seedlings. These are also known as 'seed leaves' or 'nurse leaves'. They nourish the baby plant until the real or true leaves are big enough to support photosynthesis and a growing root system.

Thumbnail by melody
Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Great idea on placing a coin with the seedlings, Melody. Wish I'd thought of that with some of mine. :)

Of course, that's bound for the PlantFiles, right? ;)
Donna

Edited to add... Both of those pics are nice!

This message was edited May 1, 2005 7:37 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Of course!

Thanks for the great pics! It's been a few weeks and still no activity, so I guess I'll replant. I think they may have dried out....
Mara

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Try taking a peice of plywood, plant the bed water well and cover with the Plywood for 5 to 7 days. It keeps the seeds moist and gets them germinated well. Works great.

Drew

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.