Rattail in full bloom

Mesilla Park, NM

Cannot trade any of these plants, as I left them all behind in Southern California when we moved in 2006. I'm trying to rebuild my collection again.

First year this blooms..

This message was edited Jun 27, 2014 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'd have to say your first year of blooms is a highly successful one! Beautiful!

I'm also looking around at the rest of your collection. Mercy! I'm impressed!

Cowabunga! (very impressive & gorgeous even)

Wow! That is spectacular! How old is that plant? And how much light and from what direction? Any chance to get you for the zone 9 plant trade? LOL. Harold

Mesilla Park, NM

I am trying to make some pot people and tried this out before it bloomed, but had other duties, and never did finish.. isn't that cute.. needed a pair of black sunglasses though.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very cute. IMHO it needs a set of toy bongos. :) Rasta Rat.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh my! I have some sort of cactus that grows long and thin. I have it planted near a block wall and it clings to the wall. The blossoms are white and it blooms at night. It has a beautiful scent but it is hard to catch the blossoms open.

Yours is wonderful.

Mesilla Park, NM

Harold, I didn't see your post, must have posted almost at the same time. What Zone 9 plant trade?

It hangs there under the porch all year long and gets morning full sun, then filtered sun the rest of the day.. It gets misted with peters 20-20-20 and a drop of superthrive in the misting water.. I do that to all the hanging plants, plus once a month, they get watered with either peters or miracle grow. They sure do grow fast that way. I used some Fish Emulsion last month, but have not seen a difference yet.

Hi George, is this the one you have.. this one has tiny little flowers, you can barely see them, they are white, it is some type of rattail, but I don't have any clue as to which one.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

It reminds me of medusa.. this would fit perfect on a pot person. see how small the flowers are, don't know if they have any fragrance, will go check right now.

edited to say: Thanks for the compliments everyone.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 7:20 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

No, mine has stouter branches and the blossoms are a couple of inches across.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Gourd,

What is the plant in the white hanging pot on the right of it in the second picture?
I would love some of those.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Sandy,
That one is a weird one too, it has real pretty small pink flowers. Will take a better photo of it tomorrow for you. I may have the name stuck in there somewhere, but, it was before I knew to keep plant tags. I have seen it on another post somehwere here.

George, do you have a picture of yours?

LOL Harold, to be fair she should draw names for the trade...
I volunteer to make out the slips, put them in a hat and my kitty cat, Polly, will draw the name... is that ok with everyone?
Oh and to tempt you further... I now have two agaves that are sending up their stalk... that means 130,000 seeds
Grin

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Here it is.

Thumbnail by George
Valley Village, CA

Why I have a few that might be from that species, So far I haven't seen the flowers, what a surprise I'm going to have. My Rhipsalis stayed out all winter and are doing very well. I hope I will be able to get some that I don't have yet, I love your pink flowering species. WOW I have something that has orange flowers. Now I'm excited to find out what color of flowers mine will show me. Norma

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I have a lot if someone wants some. It produces large seed pods also, but I have never attempted to pick them, the birds do a good job, however.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

George,

I would love some. I think we traded epis last year Most are doing fine. Just alittle slow.
LMKP

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow. I am amazed. That is fantastic.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Sandy ^8^ your address is in the address exchange. I will send you some pieces in a few days.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

George,

Thank you is there anything you might be looking for I might have? LMKP

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Mesilla Park, NM

George, I would also love to have some... let me know if If you like anything here that I have...

Whooooooooo...

Northern California, CA

Gourd, that is one gorgeous plant! Great job and what an awesome color too.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Gourd,
Rattail is gorgeous. Where did you get it ? Thanks for posting the picture.
Patti

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks everyone, believe it or not, I got this about 3 1/2 years ago at HD, it was alot smaller..

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is just awesome! I can't wait for mine to bloom like that. I'm going to try the peters and superthrive. I see these at Home Depot a lot.

Blessings,
Awanda

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No words !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never seen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kaleem

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Out of site. That is beeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaatttttttiiiiiiiiiffffffffuuul

Monroe, NY(Zone 6b)

Gourd,
That rattail in bloom is absolutely superfluous!
If ever you have a piece that falls off, please keep me in mind.
Sal

Mesilla Park, NM

Sal,
Maybe can send you a piece with your SASE.

George, sending you mail.. in the morning.. gotta get off the puter..

What you think about me...... want to have a cutting of this beautiful plant.
Kaleem

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Just beautiful, I purchased mine at HD, but its still small and hasn't yet begin to cascade over the pot.

DougC

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Both your rat tails are awesome, Gourd. Luv the bloom on yours to George. If you ever have any baby pieces fall on the floor maybe you can kick them over my way.
:) Donna

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Just one word -

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

I never knew that cacti were so completely beautiful until I found davesgarden.com. Thank you Dave!

Kim

Mesilla Park, NM

HaroldS, when is the zone 9 exchange?...

It has finally stopped blooming and I can send out some cuttings in the next couple of weeks. So far I have already send to three people:

Will send to: Sandy, Kaleem, Harold and Angele.

I don't think it will be worth it to send in a priority box since they are so light weight, I think I can send them in padded envelopes for the ones here in the US. If you do want a priority box, let me know and I'll include more cuttings of different types of succulents/rhipsalis/senecios.

Will send them for postage or trade, ( I am looking for bublines, or oxalis if anyone happens to have any of these). Just drop me an e-mail.

Kaleem, yours will go out in about 2 weeks, will e-mail you later.

Thank you very much... waiting anxiously.....
Kaleem

Mesilla Park, NM

I thought I'd bump this post up so I could reminisce .. Lol

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Now you have to add some new pics! How's everything doing?

Mesilla Park, NM

Momlady, I moved from Southern California in 2006 and left all my plants behind. I'm just starting over with these types of plants. It will take me years to get 5 and 6 footers like that.. Darn,.. Those were the days.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, man, that's tough. I would hate to leave a mature collection behind. In the past, I've moved (not voluntarily) every 5 years or so and never got totally attached to a garden or plant collection. Plus, the locations were mostly not conducive to nice gardens (small lot size, renting, etc.) Finally, I've been at our current location 13 years. I am definitely attached. Not having my plants would be very hard. I hope you are having fun starting over, anyway.

Mesilla Park, NM

I sure can't find those rattails at HD here.. Lol, or anything else like those. I might just take a short trip to Tucson and hit the nurseries there. I'd like to get rooted plants, the. I know how to feed them, they love being misted several times a day in the heat, they love the heat too.. So I've got the heat but still looking for a few more rattails to fill a pot at least. I'm getting there..lol, I am trying to convince a local nursery to order some things for me.

What do you grow momlady? Any photos? Would love to see them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.