Plant Packing Tips...See Pictures 1-8

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

It was ages before I could grow them out big enough to realize the flowers were the wrong color. and I still don't know how unusual that "mossy pot surface with grass and weeds " is in mail order plants ...

I just posted a bad review (I think it was on Amazon). And finally checked their reviews in Garden Watchdog (or whatever it's called in DG). They have mixed reviews, which I interpret as "they SOMETIMES send what they advertise".

Sometimes energy spent complaining is energy wasted, and I read one article that claimed some companies deliberately create negative Internet buzz - so their name comes up first in Google, an that's all it takes to get a lot of sales.

Sometimes greed and sleaze make me tired, other times indignant. Oh, well, 3 years later, 2 of those Lavatera are big, and the others are recovering from being root-bound all last summer (my bad, not Hirt's)

Corey

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

With Forest Farm, you do indeed have to wrestle them out of the box. Thy are beautifully protected. I remember getting a deliver of a plant that was three plus feet tall, and the gentleman from United Postal Service showed me a crushed box, assuming I would want to send it back. He stood there as I opened it, and his jaw dropped when he saw a fresh, perfect shrub - a cotinus Grace.

I love Forest Farm.

Donna

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Yes, Donna ~ They do prepare for any disaster that may threaten the life of their plants.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

I am going to be shipping long pieces of Queen of the Night with roots.

The plan is to take them out of their pot of soil, remove most of the soil, wrap just the rooted part in plastic, then cushion the whole plant in paper of some sort to be placed into a sturdy cardboard box of some sort.

Any suggestions?

I don't want any parts of these rooted pieces to rot; at the same time, I don't want the roots to dry out.

I don't want the green parts of the plant to rot or dry out, either.

I have sphagnum moss here at home that's long and dry, almost like a bird's nest (if it would help to use it).

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Sincerely,
Timmy Jo

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, I would definately either use damp Sphagnam moss or 2-3 sheets of paper towels, dampen after the roots are wrapped. Then wrap the rooted part woth plastic wrap. Never put the plastic wrap next to the roots or plant - they will gather moisture and rot. You then wrap the whole plant in newspaper and seal the edges with masking tape.
I have been shipping plants of all sorts for over 10 years, I have 2376 positive feedbacks from Ebay , and only about half of the buyers bother to give feedback.

Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.