Vigna caracalla.... to pinch, or not to pinch?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got 2 precious seeds in trade and am now the proud grower of 2 small (but growing!) snail vines (V. caracalla). They've really started to take off and are nearly 2 feet long! There's as much as 3 inches between some of the new leaf nodes, though, which makes me think that pinching might be a good idea. But I don't want to do something wrong! Please, can somebody advise me on whether or not to pinch them back?

(Zone 7a)

I would definitely not pinch..just my opinion. Let it grow naturally.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kim! I think you've grown about every kind of thing, so I'll take your advice! If I get a conflicting opinion, I suppose I could pinch one and not the other and see what happens with them.

BTW, you never did LMK how to get seeds from my 'Winterglow' Bergenia..... If you tell me how, I will send you some! :-)

(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh Yeah! Look at your flowers and see if they have 2 long pods in the center. Kinda shaped like bowling pins..If so, then the seeds are inside and very tiny.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK.... I'm assuming I should wait until the flowers look "done" before harvesting the pods? Any tip on how to tell when the seeds are ripe?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.