Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Red Asiatics

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More Trumpets - Easter Lilies

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh boy!! Good for you Steve (and me!). Can't wait to see more of your photos. Do you know the name of the asiatic above? Looks very familiar like maybe one I planted last Fall at the old house.

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

There seems growing wild in the region of Lanzhou (in NC China) this varieties of lily.After finishing blooming in late spring,from the stems develope many little potato-like balls which can be used to cultivate new lilylets.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I didn't know that Jianhua! I know the Asiatic division form small black bulbils along the stems that fall off and become new lilies.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I don't know what it's called, Brenda - here it is again today:

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Again

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Lollypop

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

In front - first to bloom

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm....I just spent a good 1/2 hour looking for one to match your pretty rosy red one with spots. Is that it in the pics that follow with the bowl/trumpet shape? Almost like a tulip shape. Well if you're ever dividing or moving those, Steve, I'd LOVE to have a bulb of it.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Brenda, I'll be happy to give you some of those later this year!!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

As usual Steve, your flower pictures are lovely. A fresh breath of spring/summer.

Some of mine are just emerging, but of course I have been planting new varieties again.
Catalogs are coming for fall already, and saw some more that I don't have.

If you have extra of the pink, I would like one, Steve.
What would you like in return?

Maxine

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I am curious, Steve. As Maxine said we northerners are doing our spring lily planting. Do you do that or is it during winter that you plant or only in Fall?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

HI Maxine - I have has those in the gound for two or three years now, so I'd be happy to dig up a couple for you and Brenda. What in return? HMMMM let me go back and look at your pictures from last year! Thanks for the nice words :-)

Well Brenda I usually plant in the fall here - sometimes winter/early spring, like in Feb or March if I REALLY want something AND the online retailer ships that early. The problem is that some vendors ship so late - like into April and May - that lilium bulbs in particular will not do well and often fail the first summer, because the soil gets too warm for proper rooting. So I avoid spring lily planting unless it's something I HAVE to have, and as you probably know there were some I just HAD to have this year. I love B&D for lilies, but they freeze their bulbs for winter and ship so late it is a big problem for southern gardeners - though to their credit they did get bulbs to me right at the beginning of April, but really March is best if I plant in spring. Brent and Becky has shipped me lilies earlier than that even. I did order some Tom Pouce lilies from B&B at an end of season sale about three years ago, and they got about 6" high and croaked because it was too late for safe planting here (unbeknownst to me at that time). But, they came back and bloomed the second year, and they're budded out again already in their third year, so not all was lost.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

So when you plant in Fall what month is that generally and how late can you plant? I'd guess if you could plant until Dec. then a couple of months later and it's time for your "spring" planting so it wouldn't make sense.

You REALLY should try some of the Canadian growers this fall. EXCELLENT prices because the exchange rate is still favorable for us and generally offsets the cost of the Phyto. certificate. I've gotten some lily bulbs from Canada that I've never seen in the US.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Brenda,

I usually like to plant in November, sometimes December. Even though we're in the south, winters *can* get pretty cold here since we're in the interior (we get extremes like you do, as we're still a "plains" state), so Dec and Jan can be pretty miserable to plant anything in.

I did find a cool Canadian site through here ( I think they're in Alberta?) that had some neat stuff. I will check them out and try some of their offerings this fall! I have to find somethin' to fill in the holes for the bulbs I give you and Maxine :-)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh I think Maxine and I have some nice bulbs that you'd like! Let me just be an enabler for a moment if I could.....

http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/index.htm
http://store.lilies.ca/cgi/lilies/index.html
http://www.s-wgardens.com/
http://www.gratrixgardenlilies.com/index.asp
http://www.plantlilies.com/shop/enter.html

These folks have a nice site but don't ship to the US...
http://www.hornerlilies.com/

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve, I have a company in Oregon that I ordered from last fall. We visited their nursery while in Oregon.
They grow Stramhs lilies. Hope that spelling is correct.
If interested will go and look up my address for them also web site.
They only have orientals though.

Could you raise a early Jap. fern leaf peony in your area? Mine are just budded out now. Its the earliest peony that I have.

Maxine

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh forgot! Dang memory. Its a single red with a yellow center. will take picture and send you when they are in full bloom.

Yes, I am thinking that B and D have the best and largest bulbs of any grower. I recd. some this spring and have never seen them so large. One must have been close to a 1# or more. I know that it was as big as my husbands fist and he has large hands.
I split an order with a friend to the Lily Nook this spring and was not too satisfied with the size of the bulb

Now I am done.

Maxine.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the links, Brenda, and the infoirmation, Maxine. I have never tried growing a fern leaf peony, though I did see Ticker's fern leaf peony on the Peony forum. I know I can grow tree peonies and I shockingly have a bunch of herbaceous ones that have bloomed or are ready to bloom this year!!! So much for not being able to grow peonies in the south! :-))))

I agree with you Max on B&D - they have the BEST bulbs for lilies. I am not saying they won't grow, but I ordered a bunch from The Lily Garden and was surprised at how tiny they were. The Blackjack lilies they sent me were not much bigger than large marbles. We'll see how they do.

More lilium shots today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More of the pink ones

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I don't know what this one is - has some yellow in it.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Looks cool when they all open!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here's a red one - I think it's "Stones"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another of "Stones"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My Silk Roads are coming back - among many others - see my peony in the middle! Didn't bloom at all last year and now has three buds ready to open!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

HI, Steve---love your lilies--especially the pink ones blooming with the rose--wonderful combination...and I can't wait to see the peonies with the lilies. Your garden must be a lot of fun--so exhuberant with all the bulbs... have fun. t.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve, you have mail.

Maxine

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Well my peonies are blooming!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

These orange Asiatics are starting to open

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More peonies

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This Tom Pouce failed its first year since I oredred it from an end-of-season sale three years ago and planted it in may (too late for here). Last year and this year it came back to produce three buds and flowers. Looks like it's getting ready to pop! I put it in a bed that has terrible soil too, but it keeps returning.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks tabasco - I have been enjoying looking at all of your beautiful garden pictures as well - especially your daffodils!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow....I'm always amazed at how very different all the areas of the country are in terms of gardening seasons and bloom cycles. My peonies bloom 2-4 weeks before my first lilies start. Kind of wild seeing peonies and lilies at the same time, Steve. I bet you have some gorgeous bouquets at your house this time of year. Please keep posting your photos and don't forget to add to PlantFiles when you know the cultivar.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

First Oriental bloom - it smeels so good. Not a Tom Pouce like I said, and come to think of it those bloom late. I think this is LeReve, right outside my side door.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Lollipops blooming everywhere - and I haven't planted any of those for three years, so they must be multiplying!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More Asiatics opening

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wellll Brenda - thank you - but I can never bring myself to cut any of them! Here are some yellow ones starting to open

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.