Gaillardia fanfare blooms

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Despite 3 weeks of non-stop rain, this wonderful plant is still putting out blooms. Had to snap a pic of a couple before it got too dark outside.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

emily
I missed it last year because it was so expensive but I ordered 3 this year from bluestone and received and planted them 4 weeks ago.They are all blooming.This plant is truely wonderful.The first flower to bloom is now almost 4 inches wide and there are lots of buds.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Got one of these beauties last summer- bloomed its fool head off, however there is no sign of it this spring. Is it a late comer??? I will be just sick if it does't return.....

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I also ordered 3 from bluestone and then my local nursery had a bunch of GALLON size for only $7.99 so I picked up 3. I planted one in each of my sunny beds. I only wish these could be grown from seed. Since these are hybrids, if the seeds germinate at all, chances are they won't grow true.

Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

Hi!

I was wondering..do they need to be deadheaded? I have one of these beauties and adore it. I did deadhead oce in awhile, but it kept blooming even without me being consistent.
To deadhead or not to deadhead.....???

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I know what you mean. Local nursery man told me to deadhead but it is hard to keep up with this plant. Linda

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I deadhead my plants when I get around to it, but seems like they'll keep popping out blooms either way.

How tall and wide do these plants grow to? Any idea what the life span is for this type of Gaillardia?

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This is near the top of my list to add to the garden this year. I also really want to get Summer's Kiss.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Just saw a pic of Summer's Kiss. Very pretty indeed.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I planted a gaillardia grandiflora, 'Burgundy'. The color is more of a redwood stain looking color. Quite pretty and it too is a great bloomer.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I really like both 'Burgundy' and 'Fanfare'....have 1 of each. Fanfare blooms for months, and Burgundy is a really lovely, deep color....both are very nice perennials!

I posted this pic, the 'Hot Cocoa' rose is simply gorgeous with the 'Burgundy' Gaillardia - both play off the other.

sorry for the blurry pic - very windy!!!
Jam

Thumbnail by jamie68
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

The burgandy variety is beautiful! Looks almost like a dahlia. Hmm... Might have to see if I can find a couple of those.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah ha! My friend gave me some seedheads off of her plant and I crushed them up and started looking for seeds. Now I am NOT the world's greatest seed collector but NOTHING in that mess resembled a seed! I guess b/c they are hybrids huh? Too bad. :(

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

What do you all fertilize your flowers with? You name it, I probably have it. I have everything from extended release granules, many different kinds of fert that you mix in the soil to water soluables and fish emulsion. Seems mine are taking a little break as I don't see many new buds on them right now.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I've been giving mine a some 20 20 20 all purpose once in awhile.
I have the Fanfare. This is an old pic of Burgundy Gaillardia with some Beardtoungue Husker's red.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

This is my Fanfare. I love it!

Thumbnail by Starzz
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I use compost tea, both as a foliage spray, and a water-in feeding , I do the same with Soil Soup - these I use every 1 to 2 weeks during the growing season, and this year I added Messenger once a month. Other than a heaping feed of compost and manure, with a cup of alfalfa pellets and 1/2 cup bone meal per plant in spring, and the normal breakdown of the mulch I use, the only thing that gets anything else is my roses. They get epson salts, alfalfa pellets, compost and a special food that has bone, blood, feather, cottonseed meals and greensand in spring, and a 3-in-1 systemic rose food, fungicide, anti-virus product once a month throughout bloom season....
None of this takes much time, and all of it improves the soil season by season. The difference in my soil now, compared to when I moved in three years ago is amazing! I stay organic as much as poss - the roses are the only thing I slightly compomise on. But it is a systemic product - and not an insecticide....
Oh, and I do use an extended release fert (Osmocote) and an occasional water soluble mix-in on my annuals in containers...they seem to need the boost

So, that is my routine....it only takes about an hour per week with a long session in Spring, and another in Fall. I deal with any other issues on a case-by-case basis. A new plant, esp shrubs and trees get coddled a bit the first year or two. I add some really good organic products at planting time, and have started to use products with micorrhizae whenever possible. The more I look into which products to use, the more it seems micorrhizae are key to plant health. Dr. Earth seems to be the best organic in my area, what products do you all use??

Probably more than you wanted.....can't wait to hear what others are doing!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I meant to post a pic of 'Fanfare', went forward one too many.....here it is..I hope to get a break in the rain today so I can get a better one. Fanfare looks a bit mushed in the rain, but it is supposed to dry out later, so I will try.

Emily - I love your pics, and Starzz - both of your pics are great! Those blossoms look so big and healthy..:)
Has anyone got a pic of 'Summer Kiss', I have yet to see this one, and would like to....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Jamie - I think all of my plants want to move into your garden. LOL! I use compost, bone meal, and fish emulsion. I mixed in some ironite as well a couple weeks ago. I should probably feed my plants more. I burned a bunch of my hostas last year when I put way too much osmocote in the soil. Beginning of spring I used some extended-release 18-18-18 granules into all of the beds.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Ok...I finally got a decent picture of 'Fanfare'.....and a close-up.....hope you like them...:o)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Look at the petals on this formimg flower...they are cute little tubes...:)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Wow! That's beautiful! How old is your plant? That's an amazing amount of blooms on one plant!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Emily...you crack me up.....LOL :o)!!! You are using great stuff, and every plant you post pics of look very healthy!! Since we garden so close toeachother, do you have the same clay soil I do?? And if so - do you add a ton of compost, manure, manure and compost to it when making a new bed?? I sure have to ammend the heck out of my soil, then add more each year in fall as I put everything to bed for winter, and in spring as they wake back up....it has really helped though, getting better and better every year!

Jamie

ps...i took this today after the rain stopped :o) - these just started to bloom last week. Do you have any lilies or daylilies planted?? These always start to bloom just as earlier stuff is slowing down.

Thumbnail by jamie68
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, this is my first year with lilies :) See thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/505742/

Most of my asiatics are done and but quite a few orientals are still either blooming or about to bloom. I planted some daylilies this year, but have only had a few blooms so far. I've heard they don't really start going crazy until their second year.

I think I need to amend my clay soil further. I did some major amending this spring, but didn't add any manure. I think I probably should have especially with all of the rain we've had the last few months.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.