Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Gaillardia fanfare blooms, 1 by jamie68

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamie68

In reply to: Gaillardia fanfare blooms

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Gaillardia fanfare blooms
jamie68 wrote:
I use compost tea, both as a foliage spray, and a water-in feeding , I do the same with Soil Soup - these I use every 1 to 2 weeks during the growing season, and this year I added Messenger once a month. Other than a heaping feed of compost and manure, with a cup of alfalfa pellets and 1/2 cup bone meal per plant in spring, and the normal breakdown of the mulch I use, the only thing that gets anything else is my roses. They get epson salts, alfalfa pellets, compost and a special food that has bone, blood, feather, cottonseed meals and greensand in spring, and a 3-in-1 systemic rose food, fungicide, anti-virus product once a month throughout bloom season....
None of this takes much time, and all of it improves the soil season by season. The difference in my soil now, compared to when I moved in three years ago is amazing! I stay organic as much as poss - the roses are the only thing I slightly compomise on. But it is a systemic product - and not an insecticide....
Oh, and I do use an extended release fert (Osmocote) and an occasional water soluble mix-in on my annuals in containers...they seem to need the boost

So, that is my routine....it only takes about an hour per week with a long session in Spring, and another in Fall. I deal with any other issues on a case-by-case basis. A new plant, esp shrubs and trees get coddled a bit the first year or two. I add some really good organic products at planting time, and have started to use products with micorrhizae whenever possible. The more I look into which products to use, the more it seems micorrhizae are key to plant health. Dr. Earth seems to be the best organic in my area, what products do you all use??

Probably more than you wanted.....can't wait to hear what others are doing!
Jamie