Peaches, Pears, Cherries, Apricots, etc

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I would like to plant some dwarf varieties of these. What are your recommendations on best flavor and hardiness for zone 5? Also, will I have to plant more than one of each variety for it to bear fruit?

Thanks, Deb

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Deb,
The best thing to do is to contact your local extension agent for the varieties recommended for your area. He can also tell you how many chill hours your area gets on average. Fruiting trees need a certain number of chill hours (Temperatures between 32º - 45ºF) to break dormancy and bloom. If the number of chill hours required by a variety is greater that what you get, then your tree will not break dormancy properly. You won't get flowers or fruit and your tree will decline in vigor until it dies or is killed by disease. If the number of chill hours required is too low, it will break dormancy too soon and you'll lose flowers and fruit to freezing weather. Chill hour requirements vary by variety.

I can help with some general information. I have gardened with edibles for over 25 years. I have grown quite a variety of fruit and nuts. First of all, the word "dwarf" is a relative word. A standard sized cherry tree can get 35 feet tall. A dwarf half its size. Good air circulation is essential to prevent diseases. Fruit trees need full sunlight. Check the ultimate size for the dwarf varieties you want and make allowances for that when you plant your trees. There are self fruiting peaches and cherryies, but if you are willing to plant two trees you have a larger list from which to choose. Outside of California, you need two pear trees. Apricots are probably not a good choice for you as they bloom early. The likelyhood of you ever getting fruit are rather slim. Apricots aren't recommended for zone 8b either because a late frost would kill the flowers or forming fruit most years. Apples with a high chill hour requirement would grow well in your area.
BettyDee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.