Window boxes and hanging baskets

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

What are your favorite flowers and plants to grow in hanging baskets and window boxes? Right now, I just have some impatients growing in hanging baskets, but I would like to expand. Of course, I can't just keep the garden on the ground! :)

Trish

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Millionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Bellssssssss..
Vinca Vine..
Fuchsia..
Pelargonium

Trish :)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

If you have sunny spots try some of those Wave Petunias, they are real show stoppers especially if you can winter them over in a greenhouse and let them go right on growing for a second year. Plant about 5 to an average size basket.

(Zone 6a)

have you heard about using diapers or maxi pads in baskets and window boxes to keep them from drying out. It is the same chemical they sell for just that purpose. I read this somewhere don't remember where.Plan on trying this this year. I kill hanging baskets because I forget to water them, or they die while I am on vacation.Then I have to tuck a few silk ones in till frost.
I like vinca vine, impatients, petunias,I traded for some lantana I am going to sow in a basket directly this spring.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the suggestions- I added a couple of new items to my seed list.
Chris- I have never heard of this- _very interesting_!
I might try it on one basket, and see if it makes a difference for me. My problem is more overwatering than underwatering, so we'll see.

Trish

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I had to laugh at that one Chris .... The things we gardeners do for our plants! I was just thinking - I wonder if I can talk hubby into going to the store for me. I need orange juice to soak some passion vine seeds in, and apple cider vinegar to set out traps for fungus gnats. Now I'll have to add maxi-pads to the list for the hanging baskets!

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

LOL... I can just imagine me sitting outside making up my hanging baskets, and having the neighbors stare at me as I pack two or three Stayfree pads in my baskets... ROFL

My favorite is the trailing variety of nasturtiums I get from Pinetree... my hummingbirds LOVE them.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Blue and white lobelia. I love the way it looks. I also enjoy petunias, panseys and impatiens. I had lovely striking red impatiens last year - a variety called Salsa - double flowers. I am going to try and be more adventurous this year.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

You guys are funny! I also like the wave Petunia's for a basket. I used the "Tidal wave" series this year. They are doing great. Lisa

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

uhmm, about that pad thing...do I need to put a Midol in there too??(giggle) Lisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.