is it mold

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

About two weeks ago I sowed some seeds. Some are starting to come up. I am misting with chamomile tea. I noticed a green mosslike growth over the soil. Is this dangerous to the seedlings?

Arroyo Grande, CA

I have noticed some algae growth on top of the perlite, but nothing has happened. I do not mist, water only from below at about three to four day intervals. Most of the stuff I have transplanted had very large roots that went quite a ways down into the cell, indicating there was not much need to mist. But this was mostly easy stuff so I am not sure if it is harder stuff about the misting.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, this is algae, not mold, and it is not dangerous to your seedlings. One tip, though.... sometimes the algae can cover the top of the soil plug and keep the surface appearing moist when the medium below has dried out, so poke through the surface with your finger to see if they need water, don't just judge by looking.

I bottom water, and I don't mist. I cover my trays (perforated dome, plastic wrap, etc) to get higher humidity for germination, and after that I think higher humidity just invites disease, maybe even if you're using chamomile tea. Anyway, not misting works fine for me. I have been using weak chamomile tea or peroxide water to water in transplants and to water young seedlings -- figured it wouldn't hurt & it might provide a little extra insurance.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

critt,

What delution of peroxide water are you using? I've used kelp to keep gnats at bay.
Oh; and do you use them for outside use also?

~* Robin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm putting 1 T of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in each quart of water.

This is the first year I've used it, so I haven't tried it outside.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks critt,

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.