Keeping seeds straight when treating

Arroyo Grande, CA

Has anyone come up with a good way to keep seeds straight when treating them? I am thinking of ice cube trays or egg cartons, but is there a better way? I can do a grid spreadsheet to identify the seeds. Some of the South African ones have to be both hydrogen peroxide and smoke treated in succession.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I used ice cube trays when soaking my pepper seeds. I just marked a dot on one corner of the tray, figured that was #1 and the others were just numbered (in my head) from left to right in two rows. I wrote a corresponding numbered list of what I was starting, and that was that. Just be careful that any seeds that haven't sunk to the bottom don't float over to another cell while you're fishing around for them, :-)

Arroyo Grande, CA

I found a new thing at my neighbor's place, Wal+Mart. It is called Ice Tubes, for making ice cubes to fit in soda cans and bottles. Much smaller than the trays and can be taken apart. I was looking for the trays and saw these instead. I did not want to be accused of contaminating the regular trays. There are 24 quarter inch tubes and they come apart. The smoke disk is dissolved in 100 mL of water, which isn't very much and will do about 100 seeds.

The protea do not need bottom heat but germinate at outside temps. They apparently want a 20 degree drop in temperature over night. That is hard to get here, consistently.

Now, if the sheet pots will show up, I can get started. The local Wal+Mart has very few seeds and almost no propagation supplies.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Get ready to shop! Last week every garden center in Jax was empty shelved and doing Inventory. The WMs in paticular should be overflowing with all kinds of things, including plants.
Heehee more goodies!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.