Erythrina (Coral Tree) seed scarification

Arroyo Grande, CA

Do coral tree seeds need to be scarified and soaked in anything? I have six different ones to do. They are pretty big sees, the size of small pea seeds and hard, so they might qualify on that account. Since I am already going to the brugmansia and daturas it would be no big deal. Twenty-four hours and warm water seem to be the preferred method, though some people swear by hydrogen peroxide, what is the consensus?

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Hi Chuck

I grew some last year and was a real novice at seed sowing. I poured boiling water from the kettle on them (I think I let them soak). They germinated within a week. This is just my experience and opinion and I expect there are other ways to do these seeds.

Sue

Arroyo Grande, CA

Thanks! There are several views, I like your approach. I got way more seeds of coral trees than I wanted, it was the smallest size order they had. I planted 18 each of three kind, just as they were. I will wait a week and see if they come up. Then I will try the soaking and nicking. I really like coral trees and have been trying get a number of different kinds, both plants and seeds. It would be fun if the seed work. However, I only really want one of each. Fortunately coral tree seeds last a long time.

Arroyo Grande, CA

At least one of the seeds of two different coral trees has sprouted in three days. So, at least for fresh seed you can get germination without doing anything. We shall see how many sprout in the next couple of days. There are 16 of three different kinds, way more than I need.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

Sue, I see you are in 8a I all so live in 8a in Tyler Tx. and I had 2 trees that I started from seed. Just put them in a pot and they grew into trees very fast. But they never bloomed. I put them in the greenhouse over winter and out in the sun in spring. Do you know why they would never bloom? Joan

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Hi Joan

I am under the impression that they won't flower if they are not getting enough sun throughout the summer. Having said that, I would have thought Texas had a long summer. I grew mine last year and, as you say, it grew pretty fast. I planted it in the ground in a sheltered spot and it died back but I think it is coming back from the lower trunk. Another point is that if they die back each year, they won't flower, but I get the impression yours hasn't died back.

Maybe someone else can advise you on this.

Sue

Arroyo Grande, CA

Erythrina X christi-galli will bloom here, mine does quite regularly without a great deal of warmth. A couple of the others look like they are going to bloom this year after just planting them last year. They do not die back, but they lose leaves and do not look very good part of the year. I got the South Carolina one that is supposed to be shrub like as a plant. I hope it blooms this year. I love the color and the shape of the blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.