Lowering pH. Screwed myself good, as I got the plants first.

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

This is another blueberry question. I did a ph test and my soil is a pH of around 6. I need to get it down to at least 5.0, but preferably 4.5 for high bush blueberries. Ok here is the catch, I did this ass backwards, and bought the plants first. So I cannot simply wait weeks for the pH to change before planting, or I won’t have blueberries to plant. I guess I put the horse way ahead of the cart. So what do I do? I was told to use sulpher, but that I couldn’t plant them for a few weeks, since sulpher in large amounts is toxic to the plants, and any drop in pH greater than 1 point would be considered large. I have no idea if this true. My other option seems to be, Aluminum sulfate, but how long will that take, I know next to nothing about this option. Help what do I do????

ElapheG

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

There are two quick fixes. Green Light soil acidifier which is available at most nurseries. This is the one that I prefer. Miracid will also work as a temporary quick fix.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Aluminum sulfate is recommended for hydrangeas only, as high levels of aluminum can be toxic to plant roots. Iron sulfate could be used. University on Minnesota has 2 good websites on changing soil pH. Have you considered planting in a large pot? At least until you have acidified you soil.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/1731-05.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/1731-03.html

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, but I cant find potting mix with a pH low enough to accomplish this, so it seems that either way I have to change soil pH.

Gainesville, FL

I'd use the Green Light soil acidifier myself. In fact, I did last year and the reaction was very fast in coming too. Mulch well with pine bark, pine needles, or some such and use some granular iron sulfate (called 'copperas' from some manufacturers) for long-term soil acidification. If you use the iron sulfate after the Green Light stuff use only half the recommended amount on the bag.

.....Alan.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I read somewhere on the net that it's possible, even recommended to plant them in pure peat moss. I have about the same ph soil as your's and I mixed it 50/50 with peat moss and planted my high bush and mulched with composted pine bark. They seem to be doing just great so far, but time will tell.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of one of the four. I set them out on March 25th.

Thumbnail by Big_Red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.