Seeking Weeping cherry tree

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have any cuttings from a weeping cherry tree or seeds. I would love to have one but they are so expensive. Don't have anything to trade yet because I just moved here last fall and just started doing my planting. Had no trees or flowers just a vacant lot. Would appreciate if anyone has any cutting.

Sami

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I have some sort of weeping tree in our new yard. I was told it was a weeping santa rosa plum, but we'll see. I would be amazed if this tree gets fruit. I love santa rosa plums, tho, so I'll be thrilled if it does.

I have no idea how to do seeds or a cutting, but if you tell me, or direct me to some website to read up on it, I would be glad to send it to you at the appropriate time.

Gwen

Thumbnail by Gwendalou
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Gwen,

I gave my mother a weeping Santa Rosa Plum about 10 years ago. The weeping variety is grafted onto a rootstock rather high up on the trunk. From the way the weeping trees grow, it would take a long time to get a trunk thick enough to support weeping branches. Raintree Nursery in Washington sells rootstock. Sami would have to buy rootstock for a plum tree, grow it until it is big enough to graft buds from your tree. Cuttings are taken when the tree is dormant and stored, wrappped in damp paper towels in a baggie, in the refrigerator. When the bark on the rootstock tree "slips," (The bark separates easily from the cambium layer.), usually early July, cut several good plump "eyes" from the cuttings and graft them on the rootstock about 4-5 feet from the ground.

The Santa Rosa Plum is self-fruitful so you should get some delicious plums. Your tree is beautiful. I just planted one in my yard earlier this month.

Wow Gwen that is gorgeous. But I guess it would be very hard to start it from what Bettydee says. Maybe I will order the rootstock and check to see if they have rootstock for the weeping cherry tree too.

Thanks Gwen
Sami

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Sami,
I planted a weeping cherry this year, the weeping part is grafted onto a tall trunk.
I picked it up at Home Depot as bear root. It was only about $20.00
It's little, but it will grow *S*

Thumbnail by dovey
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Sami,
Dovey's photo says what I was trying to describe. The roostock is the same for all plums. You would have to get cuttings from someone who has oneYou might want to consider buying one that is already grafted.

Dovey, What was the name of your weeping Cherry. It must be a new cultivar. When I left California 3 years ago, it was not available. At least not in the Bay Area.
Does the tag include who produced the cultivar? I was aware of only one weeping fruit tree — weeping Santa Rosa Plum.

Dovey
I have not seen any of the bare root ones yet only the trees that are $49 at Lowes. Have not checked Home Depot. Will have to check there next week.
Thanks
Sami

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

We picked this up in February, during March I saw others at both Home Depot and Lowes.
I think Home depot was cheaper.
It's a "Snofozam" or 'Snow Fountain'

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I am a little confused by the above posts. Sami are talking about a flowering weeping cherry., or a fruiting type weeping cherry. I have a white weeping cherry, the flowering type, and it is just finishing blooming.

I have never seen a weeping fruit tree. I see that RAintree says their Weeping Santa Rosa doesn't set much fruit. But i bet it is pretty anyway. DonnaS

donna actually I was talking about a flowering weeping cherry tree. I saw them at Lowe's and they were really pretty. But gwen said she had a weeping plum tree and I decided that would be nice too. LOL. Sorry for the confusion. I just like all the flowering trees.

Sami

Westminster, MD(Zone 7b)

In addition to Home Depot and Lowes, check out your local nurseries. They should have them also.

I just bought a weeping flowering cherry tree - Snowflake White - from Lowes. It's a good size and the graft was done well. Most of your Weeping varieties are grafted onto a rootstock about 6 or 7 feet off the ground. Any leaves/branches coming out of the main trunk (below the graft) should be removed immediately upon sighting. They're from the rootstock and you don't want them growing. The same goes for suckers - as soon as you see one, cut it off.

Also check out Walmart. I saw some weekping cherries there yesterday. They even had one or two marked down to $19.97 because they were done blooming. In fact if you wait a few weeks, Lowes and Home Depot should also be marking down all their flowering trees. They don't seem to sell well after blooming. And they don't want them sitting around taking up valuable space. You only need to remember to water, water and water when planting trees at the end of Spring. They must grow underground before the heat of Summer hits.

The Walmarts near me also had Weeping Crabapple Trees - v. Louisa. These are not grafted! They are weeping trees down to their roots. I think I paid about $40 for one. They have beautiful flowers, a true weeping habit - and best yet, if they send up suckers, you can plant them elsewhere to grow.

One other item I'd like to point out. Most of the new cultivars of Weeping Cherries are patented. They state right on their hangtags that artificial propagation is prohibited. That means you cannot graft a piece onto your own root stock. Nor can you try to propagate by means of softwood cuttings and the like. And we being responsible citizens, we would never intentionally break the law, would we?

Ken

thanks Ken
I am going to go this weekend and check out Lowes and Wal Mart for one. I have been busy with grandbaby this week and have not had a chance to check them out.
thanks for the information will keep everthing in mind that you told me.

Sami

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.