Seed Starting Pellets

Linden, TN

I have been given about a hudnred or so of these little seed starting pellets... you know the ones that are peat moss compressed and you wet them and they swell up to about 1½" tall and are round. I am wanting to perhaps start some Hardy Hibiscus and maybe some Datura in them.... Does anyone have any experience with them??

Thanks bunches,
Carolyn

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Are these the kind with the netting on?

Rule of thumb: Remove any top cover, plastic or lid when first leaves get through.

They can dry out fast, or look dry when they are soggy. Try to stick it through the side with a dry toothpick, like a cake, it should show the gauge of wetness. Keep the toothpicks on the side to reuse when they get dry; wipe off if soil cakes it.

Don't plant small seeds too far down (on top is better); bigger seeds need just be pushed in till you don't see their tops any more. Some bigger... flatter seeds need only to be pushed on the top lightly.

HTH

~* Robin

Linden, TN

Hi Robin.... yep they got some sort of filmy kind of netting stuff... I appreciate your help ... I never used these things before... should I put any sort of fertilizer in the water when I water the seedlings do ya know??

I am hoping I can jsut plant them out once they get a set of true leaves ...

Thanks,
Carolyn

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I love the peat pellets. I use them to start all my seeds and they work great for me. They turn a lighter color of brown and feel light when dry so make sure to place them in a little dish or flat of water for them to soak it up. When you are ready to plant them out or transplant to a larger pot make sure you take the netting off. Just gently rip it. It comes off very easily. Be carefull not to pull out the roots which will be coming out the bottom and sides by this time.

Toni

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Carolyn,

When you plant them directly into the ground make sure you snip the bottoms open or your plants could wind up being root-bound, the netting doesn't errode as fast as they say it does.

No food or fertilizer in the water till you see the first set of leaves open up is the rule.

~* Robin

Linden, TN

O Kaaaaaay.... super duper... I am now excited... and tomorrow right after church... I reckon you can guess what I will be doing... I shall soak them while at church and by the time we get back home, they should all be good and damp and ready for the seeds... wooo hoo...

Thanks folks...

Carolyn

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info on these. I am trying them this year. The tomato seeds were set in 3/24 and busting off the roof. Started more in it today. Should not have waited, but just ordered and got some more in that couldn't resist. ~ Suzi :)

Linden, TN

Amazing..... I am looking forward to this....

Blessings,
Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.