Roasted Avocado?

I started an avocado in water with toothpicks. It has put out many roots. A tiny stalk reached the top of the seed weeks ago but is not going past that point. When I look inside the split I see a few very green nobby things down at the bottom (lol I'm not a botanist). There is active growth but it seems to be all roots & nobby things. I had this in my SW kitchen window and moved it a little more than a week ago fearing that too much sun might be the problem. It only got late afternoon sun. Do you think I might have cooked the stem? Sorry for the blurry photo... no zoom on my camera.
Thanks for your help.
Angele

Thumbnail by angele
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Me thinks it's time to pot it; is what it's saying.
My point of view from starting one late last year.

~* Robin

thanks so much Robin, Did the stem on yours get stuck with-in the seed for a while? What kind of soil did you use? I'm going to have to pot this guy because he won't make it through the winters here. I'm planning to put him in a large tub type pot since I've read they don't like to be moved.

Yes, the seed was planted with it altogether. And it still remains there.

I went to go repot it 2 weeks ago and found out that they are still attached.
I used sterile household potting soil. It loves water.
Mine has to remain indoors in cool weather. It will be going out for a while during this summer.
Plant the pit with roots attached so that the pit stands only one inch below the surface.

I gave mine some kelp water to keep little gnats from bothing it last year, directly in the water; it worked.
I give it a very weak solution of miraclegro once a month.
It looks beautiful now.

Avocado, Alligator Pear (Persea americana)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2092/index.html

~* Robin

Wow you just answered a question I didn't ask outloud! I have lots of gnats around my plants. Because I live in a very small town I have to purchase most of my plants from a local department store. I have noticed many of them have gnats. Never heard of the kelp water solution. Is it something you buy or make? Thanks so much for sharing all the tips!
With appreciation :-)
Angele

Angele,

You must get some Liquid Kelp (seaweed) real soon and spray your plants and sog the soil with it too!
Those kinds of gnats will live and breed in the soil that your plants come in!
Their larve will eat away and munch on the poor plants' roots like you won't believe!
Repotting helps; but if they are inside where all your plants are, then it will be hard to get rid of them.

Go to the garden store or Lowe's store and ask for Liquid Kelp (seaweed) and get some 'Yellow sticky traps' too, for the ones still flying.

If you can't do that today, then make some strong regular (double tea bag) tea, after brewing for ten minutes, squeeze out the tea bags into all of the liquid. Add enough cold water to make one quart of liquid. Put in a clean sprayer bottle and liberally spray stems, leaves and soil with it. This is a temporary fix, plants like the Tannic Acid and the bugs won't; but it might not stop the larve.

HTH

~* Robin

This message was edited Apr 16, 2005 4:32 PM

Oh, thank you Robin, will do it straight away! I just moved to this town in October and have never in my life had such problems with my plants not looking very happy. I thought maybe the town had too much chlorine in the water. I didn't know these little flying creatures were such a menace.
My everlasting gratitude to you...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.