Dry Soil....HELP!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I have about 200 3.5" pots here at home. Now, keep in mind that I am new to this, so don't laugh :)

They are full of just about everything, from alyssum, pansies, salpiglossis, calliopsis, everything, most tint little seedlings, with the first set or two of true leaves. Anyway, I've been bottom watering, and everything has been OK, I thought, but then I noticed no growth. So, I checked the soil, and the top 2" is dry as a bone, and water just pours right through it! I know this is the reason for my stunted growth. What can I do to re-mositen the soil???? I tried submerging, very carefully, NO good at all. I tried letting the pots sit in water all day, didn't soak up a 1/4". Top watering, just falls through. I lost six Dahlias grown from seed today because of this. I used Miricle Grow Potting Soil mixed with some other brand.

Please tell me I'm not doomed. This is really worrying me, I spent SO much on all of this.

Thank you,
J

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How big are the seedlings? Did you start the plants in these pots or are they transplants? Perhaps they haven't developed a sufficient amount of roots yet needed to absorb the water in a 3.5" pot.

Post a picture if you can.

Toni

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

The digi is out of batteries, sorry. The seedlings are transplants that were started in 4cell packs, some in 6cell packs. They were transplanted to the 3.5" pots with 1-2 sets of true leaves. The seedlings right now have anywheres from 1-5 sets of true leaves. I have several flats of these. Some are bigger, the Dahlias were 6-7" tall already. I just neglected the top of the soil and was bottom watering like I read to do. The tops are now dust. So much dust, that it won't even hold things like the dahlias and tomatoes in place. They just flop over, and they have 5 sets of leaves. I just filled each flat with about 2" of tepid water, misted the tops of the pots, enclosed the back in their domes, and set them back under lights.

J

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture...... Not the best, as these transplants were just done, so there is still a bit of moisture around the root ball from the 4cell pack, but the rest of the flats are bone dry.

Thumbnail by orange_knickers
Arroyo Grande, CA

how hong did you put them in the water? I wonder if a wetting agent would hurt the plants?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Did you say you enclosed them back in their domes? Are you keeping them covered like when germinating seeds? If so you need to take the cover off now that they are up. The roots may be waterlogged from standing in water too long. Sacrifice a really bad looking plant and gently pull it out of it's pot and examine the root system. Are the roots white and plentifull or brown and decaying?

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I just put them back under their tight domes tonight, with water in hopes of creating a humid enviroment so that the top couple of inches might begin to absorb more moisture. They have been up for a few weeks now. And they have not been under a dome since then, until tonight. They have been outside. It is dry as a bone right now. The seedlings are not dying, and look normal, they just have slow growth, which I have been told, can be attributed to dry top soil. The bottom 1-1.5" of soil holds water just fine, its the top of the soil, the top2" or so I am concerned about. Does the top not matter at all as long as the bottom is holding moisture? I haven't checked the roots as the plants aren't dying, they're just not growing. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to get the top 2" or so, of soil in the pots, to hold water again, it is just like dust right now, or does this area of soil even matter, as long as my bottoms are holding just the right amount of moisture.

Thanks,
J

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Your pots are going to dry out faster when they're outside. As long as the plants look green and perky I would start watering from the top a little bit at a time to rehydrate the topsoil. If the top has gotten hard and "crusted" over you can take a popsicle stick or skewer or fork (whatever works) and GENTLY cultivate the topsoil. Just "break it up" a bit. Not too deep.. ... about 1/4" . Stay away from the main stem about 1/2" all around. This might aerate your soil and help with water retention.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks Toni. We're going to start giving them a nice mist every 1/2 hour or so while they're inside. I figure the mist won't drain through, or dry off to soon, and it might help to moisten that soil back up. The soil isn't crusty which is good, I actually don't think it could be based on the fact that it's Miracle Grow, we'll keep it stirred however. t's times like these when I wish I had a greenhouse, sigh.......

Thanks again very much,
J

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

If spangum moss ever gets dry, it just doesn't want to get wet again. It's what jiffy pellets are made of and several seed starting mixes. If it's old, it's even worse.
Here is what I would do, and I am no expert, but all the insects eating mine think I raise real tasty plants.
Get a bottle of plant starting vitamin B booster and a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide. Put about 6" of warm water in a plastic kiddie pool or the bath tub. Add a good cup of the starter liquid and HP.
Take a tray at a time and set it in there. Let em soak until they get wet again. You could also do this in a dish pan, a dozen pots at a time.
When they first go in they will float. Just leave them until they sink.
Remove and let drain.
Spray for 5 mins 3 times a day to keep from drying out.

They also may not be growing because it's still too chilly in Loveland.
They actually look pretty good. One day you'll turn around and they'll be 4" tall.
Good luck.

Chuck, a wetting agent wont kill them and also might help.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.