Experiment with peas

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Two days ago I thought that I wanted to plant some peas. My b/f tells me it's too late now... *** pighead!

I took a glass tomato sauce jar (the kind with the measured markings on it.) Put in 8oz. of filtered water and zapped it in the microwave for one minute. Removed from microwave; put finger in to test heat level, it was ok to me. Stirred in one measured tablespoon of household peroxide. Plopped in 12 dried peas 'Little Marvel'. A trade from 75154 - (Mitch.)

Last night they were all still floating (24 hours).

Early today (36 hours) there were 10 on the bottom.

Tonight I just looked, ten minutes ago. The ten on the bottom each have 'tails.'

Tomorrow they go into the their big garden pots to make the rest of their lifes journey.

~* Robin

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2005 1:24 AM

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Robin - Good for you! If you want to plant peas you go!! Nothing like someone telling you that you can't to make you want to even more!! In the end everyone wins cause the peas will taste great!

FYI - It is usally just the opposite here. I say it will never happen and the BF says plant that seed and just you see!

-Kim

We only planted our peas a week ago and I am happy to say we have plenty of sprouts - a first for me!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, hi Kim, glad to meet you.

I forgot to finish up here! The little peas were planted outside in their composted manure/soil. At the time of planting; they looked like fat little things with little piggly-wiggly tails. I'm setting up the bamboo canes tomorrow. I prefer wood over metal (which sear the vines) of many vegetables, and promote rust.

Now I have to bookmark this link. So when they sprout out I can add more details.

You should see how 'fat' the Cobaea scandens seeds got over night in this solution. I just planted them in their 'Growing Tubes' tonight.

Thanks for reminding me; Kim.

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.