Blueberrys.....question on mulching

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't have access to pine needles to mulch my highbush plants, is composted pine bark mulch a good substitute? Thanks in advance.

Red

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Probably will work, Red. Although I would prefer ground leaves. regular leaves mat too much. Wood chips work reasonably well.

Gainesville, FL

The commercial growers here in the Gainesville, FL area all seem to use uncomposted pine bark. I expect the composted form would work too, but you'd have to replace it more often.

I use the local pine straw and oak leaves that I rake up from my property.

.....Alan.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info guys!

Linden, TN

We live in Middle Tennessee, and mulch with whatever is handy... oak leaves, hardwood mulch, pine bark mulch... whatever we can find. Even grass clippings... but we fertilize with MG for acid loveing plants... and we get more berries than we can use on just 4 bushes in the back yard...

One year when I was not well enough to tend to them, the lawn grass invaded and I had a heck of a time pulling it all out...but the blueberries did not seem to care one little bit. They bore as if it were normal... I just don't fuss with them much... but here is a hint..... if you want to keep fruit eating birds out of them.... built a little sheltered platform for pheobe's to nest... They are fly catchers and very territorial... and will keep the other birds away... It works wonders for us.

Blessings,
Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.