"Weeping" crape myrtles

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I know nothing about trees, so when my sister asked me about this, I knew right where to come.

She has two crape myrtles that were given to her, "volunteers" from a friend's yard, so we don't know what kind they are. She transplanted them into her yard two springs ago, so this is their third spring. They both have about five, 12 foot long "trunks", with a few leaves here and there along the trunks, but mostly at the top. None of the trunks has any lateral branches, and when the tips bloom (and even now, before they have started blooming), they get very top-heavy. She has always heard that you don't need (or want) to top-prune crapes, but last year they were so top-heavy the tops were actually touching the ground! She's concerned that the trunks will never have a chance to "set" or "harden off" in an upright shape.

Should she go ahead and top these off? Is it too late in the Spring to do that (she lives in Austin, probably zone 8)? Should she stake them?

Thanks in advance for all your expert advice!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

We always prune Crape myrtles. I hate when people do it with a heavy hand, but pruning for shape (just like you can do with Japanese Maples!) is a great way to create a lovely speciman. Left alone they will sucker and create a large bush. I would prune just a little now, less than 1/4th the branch length. Then later in the year prune again. The weight of the branches can cause them to split and you don't want that! The best time to prune is after the weather has gotten as cold as it's going to get and they are dormant. Besides, then the leaves are gone and you can shape them much easier.

K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.