sowing columbine seed 101

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, I need help. I am not a seed person, as in, I have no clue what to do. I received some columbine seeds not to long ago and I would like to start them outside ( I was told I could do this.) what do I do with them? Do I just throw them on the ground where I would like them to grow? I was told they don't get covered with dirt because they are so small, is this true? I'm Z5, our day temps. are finally in the 50-65 range and night temps. are high 30's-mid 40's.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd like some advice about direct sowing columbine, as well, please!

I wintersowed some columbine seeds (not up yet, but I'm hopeful), but I have quite a few more that I'd like to try sowing directly under my two baby pecan trees.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh this is so timely.....I just tossed some out on the ground last evening. Can't wait to hear if I did it right. :-)

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Me too, Me too!!!

What a co-inkidink. Just a few days ago I put 6 different kinds of seeds in a seedlingly flat. 3 kinds have germinated, the columbine was not one of them.

I shall watch and wait with you if you don't mind.

Molly
:^)))

somewhere, PA

Hi guys!

I found you get spotty germination if the seeds are started
in warm only. I used Gibberellic Acid (GA3) with great success
but that's not easy to find. (I got it from J L Hudson Seeds).

Probably best thing is to put the seeds outside where you want them
to grow or use temperature cycling (6wks warm, if no germination, 6wks
cold like in a refridgerator and then back to warm again). I think they need
light to germinate too so don't bury them with the soiless mix. Put
them on top with just the lightest sprinkling of vermiculite.

They self seed well in the garden.

Good luck!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Tammy,

Thanks for the info. Good thing I have those seeds in the perferated seed cells. If they don't germinate I can put the 4 cells in the fridge out there.

Better go put a date on that thing, 6 weeks is a long time to remember with no notes. heehee

Molly
:^))))

somewhere, PA

I write the dates on the label so I dont forget. I also started
putting notes on the regerator door (aquilegia in 4/14/05 - take
out 6/1/05 e.g.)

good luck! Its so exciting starting seeds isn't it?

Tam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe the ones in my wintersowed containers will germinate! Sounds like I waited too long to direct seed outside, probably that would be a good thing to do in January. Maybe I'll try putting the seed packets in the fridge for 6 weeks, then scatter some and see what happens....

Thanks for the informaiton!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information, I'll give it a try.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I winter sow mine. I just sprinkle the seeds around and then sprinkle the soil over them very lightly, and water.. Then here they come..No special treatment or trouble..

Larkie..

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

I think Columbine are supposed to have a chilling period. I have chilled them in the fridge as well as winter sowed them and they do fine. I think pressing them into the surface is advisable. They self seed themselves well this way. Good luck!

Indianapolis, IN

Columbine needs a long period of cold. Just throw them where you want them and they will come up next spring. They will bloom the second year.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I had decided not to do the seed thing (ran out of time) I still have them I put in the refrigerator. Can I still throw out seeds now or should I wait tille next year?

somewhere, PA

I'd suggest you keep them in the refrigerator until late fall. They
won't get shuffled around or mulched that way.

Tam

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I just put it on my computer calendar with a reminder for mid Novemeber. this sounds like something I can do. Thanks
S

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

shadyfolks, I purchased Aqualigea seeds (crimson star) I did a 24 hours soak of giberrillic acid soak. then planted them in seed flat, they germinated in 2 weeks. so the GA3 does speed things up. if you did that you could put out the seedlings in mid summer and have flowers the next spring. I get those products at super-grow.biz.com. they seem to be the most reasonable in price. hostajim1

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

If I want to start a new variety of columbine, I just buy the seeds, and when my current columbines are dropping their seeds, I sow the ones I bought. It's worked so far for me! I just rough up the soil a little bit, scatter them, pat the soil down a bit, and water and forget them. Next year, columbine all over the place!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That totally makes sense. Thanks, KB!

Fort Lupton, CO(Zone 5a)

I have what seems "tons" of Columbine now, started with 3 plants on the north side of garage, quite shady and even named them, Cassie, Rachel and Isaiah; three teens from Columbine High School. I live in Colorado and the Columbine grow wild up in the mountains, usually on the Northern side. They are our state flower.

I go over my plants and check for the spent flowers and cut this off at the first leaf on the stem. I have been just letting these cuttings fall to the ground. When it comes time to do this again I will collect these as the flowers are bending over the walkway seeking a little sun I guess.

The term heavy feeder, what does that mean? Nice to be here and gather so much information.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Actually, I've had my columbine come up several weeks after the original plant drops its seeds. Though they might need a period of cold, apparently not always. Here's a picture of my columbine that has self-seeded from this year's seed heads:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
somewhere, PA

Maybe its cause the seed is fresh! There are quite a few seeds that will
germinate right away but if they dry out, its much harder to get them to
germinate.

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.