Agastache

Arroyo Grande, CA

Does agastahe really need to be cold stratified?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I sowed 4 varieties of Agastache this year, and my conclusion is that stratification may be necessary for some. I wintersowed Agastache foeniculum (both 'Honey Bee White' and 'Honey Bee Blue') and also started some indoors (without stratification), and both sets germinated well. I also started Agastache cana 'Heather Queen' indoors (without stratification), and got germination on 5 out of 6. However, the Agastache rupretis that I sowed at the same time still shows no sign of sprouting. I just exchanged email with the person who sent me the seeds, and she says hers germinated nearly 100%, but that she stores her seeds in the fridge before sowing. So, I'm going to stratify the A. rupretis and see what happens!

If you sow your seeds without stratifying, and you don't see any germination within, say, 3 weeks, then it is probably time to put them into the fridge for a couple of weeks. Good luck!

Arroyo Grande, CA

Thanks. The powers that be would not allow a tray in the fridge. It would have to be before sowing. When I cold statified Pinus coulteri, it took three months and I got a look and some questions about what was in the bag. I will how many seeds there are and split them up, just dumpt the ones that don't make it after the stratificion is over and there is time.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Chuck Dear,

It's time to buy or borrow a used; but still in 'reasonable good shape' fridge from a close friend etc.
Keep it in the garage. Make sure it doesn't look too good inside; this way no-one will want to store 'food products' in there. Start putting 'Bait worms' in there too, on the insides of the doors. Maybe you could put a smelly old fish in there.... LOL!

Then you can have your own incubator fridge.
Just a thought.

~* Robin

This message was edited Apr 12, 2005 9:10 PM

Arroyo Grande, CA

Yeah, that is probably where I am headed, though I have taken over a substantial portion of the garage already, time to build another deck for the seed palace, reefer and assorted paraphenalia. Hide it behind a fence, lattice and cover. Then the seed palace will actually fulfill its appropriate function and not be too hot.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Specialty Perennials has a huge selection of agastache and they do not mention anything about cold stratification.

Um... Chuck, does Specialty Perennials have an internet link?

Happy you're getting your own fridge!

~* Robin

Arroyo Grande, CA

http://www.hardyplants.com/

I do not know how to do the link thingy for Dave's

Thanks Chuck, gonna try to do some Agastache 'Heather', that I have a few seeds of.

~* Robin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Robin, if that's Agastache cana 'Heather Queen', mine germinatedjust fine without stratification.

Thanks for the link to Specialties Perennials!

critt,

Are they the ones you traded Steve for? If so mine are from the same batch.

~* Robin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yup, those are the ones, Robin! Hope you have good luck too!

Thanks critt, that makes it easier to know this.

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.