Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
06:13 PM

Post #6072241

If we haven't revisited this issue by mid-2009, please give us a friendly nudge and ask again, okay?

as requested, "Nudge Nudge". Patti

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I've asked Dave to take a peek, and let me know what his current to-do list is looking like.

One other little bug when you do a search like this. The begin date box doesn't show the year. Not a big deal, but if it could be fixed too...

Okay, so where exactly do we need to pick up? I know many of the '05 changes were made. I'm thinking some of the '07 changes have also been implemented. But I'm not sure exactly where in '07 or '08 to start pulling together a prioritized list from.

My ideal journal would:
Allow me to be open to a choice of
All DG members,
Only DG subscribers,
Only a list of Friends, such as we use for a dmail blast

My ideal journal would:
give more options with mass editing

My ideal journal would:
Allow a sort by headers after a journal search.

My ideal journal would:
Allow me to see the Start Date, including the year, after a sort.

My ideal journal would:
Allow me to print in the same order that I did my sort.

My ideal journal would:
allow me to see Start date when you View your entire entry for that item.

I'm sure I'll be back with more, but that's it for now. This is just pertaining to the journal, not the diary. If none of these changes are made to happen, I'll still love my journal.

Terry said at the beginning of the thread

Quoting:
3) Remember this is a wish-list for a new journal format, not questions on "how-to" use the current journal's features. (Those posts are welcome in other threads in this forum ;o)

Ready? Okay, give us your "dream journal" ideas, please!

I hope it's OK to assume that our suggestions can be use at this time for improving the journal that we already have.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Dear Santa Dave, Any changes or updates for the journal planned any time soon. I would love some. I've been good. Patti

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Dave is gone, so is anyone thinking update??? I am hopeful still. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

me too!!!

Shawnee, KS(Zone 5b)

+1 attach pictures to milestones

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

brookrd, or anyone -- uh oh, I've been out of touch a while on DG -- what does "Dave's gone" mean?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Dave sold Dave's Garden a few years ago and then it was sold again recently, with him no longer being anything other then a member. He no longer has any role, but a few of the old admin are still involved. New Kids in charge. Not sure of their plans, but I am hopeful that they will do a major update to the Journal at some point. Patti

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the update. I hope all changes are good because Dave and crew have been wonderful.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Terry, Here's a change I would like.
I wish the opening date of a journal entry would show when you click on it.
http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=237869
In looking at this screen, I don't know what year that I planted these lilies. I have to go back to another view.
thanks

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

And that is a suggestion I will agree with!
More than once I have gone to the journal looking for a date that I received a plant or started a seed but the first journal entry is a large question mark.
Good suggestion ~ Cedar18!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would love to be able to search a specific journal... and not search every one

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

oh good podster, I'm not the only journal-geek! :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I have many requests that have been listed many times. I think they, like Dave, have put us on ignore. The journal could be way more useful, though I can't live without it even in it's current form. I keep waiting for someone to take interest in this part of the site. Forever hopeful. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here here!!!

I recognize that some things could be better and it would be nice to have a few more features or options. At the same time, I would hate to lose anything that we do have, or have it "broken" from attempted changes. I find it very useful too, and have figured out ways to use it that work best for me.

Not sure I can be clear but what I have wished for when searching for an item in my journal is:

If I search for a specific item, it will list all the items with that in the title. Sometimes, I find I have duplicated entries.

Could it be possible in the journal search to list the category each item is in?

That would make journal housekeeping much easier.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh podster, you are my journal-mate (as opposed to soulmate: I already have my DH for that)! I agree, that would be excellent. I clone plant-entries as I move divisions of plants into other parts of the garden (which is how I use "category" -- for names of beds or garden areas; courtyard, nursery beds, etc.).

But since a search does not show that info (category), you have to click on each one or try to infer from location which category (bed) it is in.

Yes Ma'am and I am on Possum Bell dial up so you can guess how long that takes.

It only makes sense seeing as the search entries found allow you to "Add/View/Edit/Delete/Move" from the search page !?!!

I suspect the journal is an interesting (read: complicated) piece of programming work. Dave programmed it, but even he was a little reticent to tinker with it much. So it's not that your requests are ignored, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to prioritize this for the tech guys, and to look for the changes that would be most helpful to you without causing them to basically re-write the entire thing (and/or tear their hair out in the process.)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Terry, wow, so happy to hear that we may have some tweaking done to the journal. I love most of it. I would be happy and honored to help any way I can. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes ... I would be happy to help as well

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

nudge nudge...any thoughts about some updates any time soon? Patti (I know I am a pest, sorry)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will pest again too then!!!

Odd Bbrookrd ... that was my thought as soon as I saw this thread come up.

Oh good... some of our journal wishes have been granted. Nope... no magic fairy dust. LOL

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I was just wishing that I could keep my journal private to everyone except who I decide to share it with. Kind of like how Picasa lets you give private albums links so only people with links can see it. I like to record seed starting info that I can share however I don't want anyone and everyone looking at everything I put in there. I like how you can do that with the Garden Diaries make certain enteries private. Or another thought would be to add friends that can view it like how only friends see your profile on facebook.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Sounds great to me. Any movement to make some changes would be wonderful. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

agreed

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

:)

Ditto...

and yes, even just select entries kept private would work. I could like that.

Let me see...unfortunately, the journal is a very complicated piece of programming :-(

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Oh, my, we have raised up admin. Yippee. I know tweaking the Journal is complicated, but it is so loved by many and kind of ignored and in need of some new features and improvements. No need to list them as I am sure poor Terry has been hounded enough by us over the past few years with some of the things on our wish list which are not all the same, but plenty of good ideas floated by in the past.

I would be happy to pay an additional fee for an greatly enhanced version as there is nothing being sold in the computer world that can match DG Journal as connected to Plant Files for entry work, but it would need sorting abilities and ways to use it as printed spread sheet. Now it is old and clunky. Example, even though I said I wouldn't list needs: I have an TBI coming up in a particular bed and I want to ID it as the tag has gone missing. I either have to do a sort on all TBI in my garden and visually scan down through them all (hundreds) to find any that are planted in that particular bed to see if I can match it, or I can do a sort on a particular bed and then go down through that list and try to find any TBI's on that list and try to match it. This list could also contain hundreds of diffenent plants and without any way to sort the list by genus, it is hugely time consuming. So having the ability to do a secondary sort is essential. I could go on, but glad you are still out there Terry. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sort and a search within a certain journal would be great... rather than search every journal

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Been a year since my last request, so just wondering if there is any plans to update the DG journal feature? Keep hoping. Patti

Patti ~ this thread comes to mind every time I open my journal.

After this length of time I think it is safe to say there will be no changes forthcoming.
It was a good thing we weren't holding our breath. lol Kristi

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

:(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images