Impatiens Yellowing?

Havre, MT(Zone 3a)

I have started several trays of Elfin Impatiens and I have some plants on one flat where the leaves are turning yellow as you can see in the pic. What is my problem?

With the plants I mean...........................my friends have already identified the rest of my problems

Thumbnail by lotton
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Some things that will make impatiens turn yellow:
1. Getting too dry
2. Staying too wet
3. Not enough nitrogen
4. Too much sun
5. Pythium or some other other root rot fungus(usually caused by staying too wet)
6. Spider mites or thrips
7. Improper venting of gas, propane or kerosene heater
You can try a foliar feed if the problem is nutrient deficiency.
Be careful using insecticides on impatiens, it can cause leaf spot or leaf drop.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

And too much fertilizer can burn them too. They sure look good otherwise, so you are doing a great deal right!
Sidney.

Havre, MT(Zone 3a)

Thanks for your thoughts. They reminded me that I added miracle grow to the plant water 4-5 days ago.

Do you think that would do it? I have had the trays under lights 12 hours a day so I think they are getting enough light. I also keep them moist by bottom watering and am going to try watering a little less but am wondering if it is because of over fertilizing then I probably should keep up with the watering.

Also I have started having a few aphids amoungst my plants, most likely from some old Begonia pots I had wintered over so I added a drop or two of Lemon Joy to my spray bottle and spritzed all the trays a few days ago also. Looking at the leaves I can see no sign of insect damage tho.

Thanks for the advice and ideas

I predict that's it. Are they all one color or mixed. For a home gardener that's about the best looking tray of grown from seeds impatients I've seen. You are doing just the right thing.
Sidney

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have read that when you feed seedlings, you should feed them at half strength, every 2 weeks, for the first 5 to 6 weeks or so.

Havre, MT(Zone 3a)

I really don't think it was too much Miracle Grow but maybe those particular cells got more then the others. Do you think it could be caused by the soap spray? I used several drops in a quart spray bottle and wet the trays well on two days

Have you got a breeze there? That helps.

Havre, MT(Zone 3a)

UPDATE

The plants that had yellowed are now flowering but are still yellow. It must have been uneven Miricale grow application.

And yes I have had a small fan going on low from the start

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.