vigna caracalla in pot and out....

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Okay, maybe this should go in the vines forum but we were discussing it here and it seems to be a difficult vine for some to get to set seed. I had 3. I put one in a large pot outside/ planted one in the ground and still have one in a smaller pot. I hope to see if the one in the ground does markedly better than the one in the pot !

charlotte

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

thanks... keep us posted on how they do! I have 2 seedlings now, and they're getting bigger... :-)

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Wish I had those seeds. Let us know which way does better. Good luck!! ~ Suzi :)

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I have one in the ground (I bought this one from parks) and 1 seedling in a big pot. Two seedlings still in smaller pots. Not much happening yet, some new growth thougth !

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Charlotte,

IMHO ~ I think it's much healthier to develop the roots first than trying to make them sprout the leaves first. This way the roots are the best they can be.

~* Robin

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Robin - how would you go about developing the roots first? Then, I can try if I manage to get some of those seeds too!! ~ Suzi :)

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I think the knicking or scraping of the shell on the seeds' butt is important, along with the soaking.

I've used this method for some other bean type plants to get rapid germination.

~* Robin

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I chipped mine with a nail clipper and only soaked them overnight. I had 3 out of 5 to come up. I did have them on a seed heating mat.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My 2 little V. caracalla vines are growing fast! They're over 16 inches long, with 2-3 inches between the leaf nodes. Somebody please tell me..... should I pinch them?? I'd like them to branch, but I don't want to pinch them and then find out that will stop their growth!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Ohh, I'm scared to pinch also ! :0

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.