Holy Lamb's Ear Batman - winter sowing does work!

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Unbelievable! This winter sowing thing really worked and freed up tons of space under my grow lights. I have sprouted a bunch of moss roses, petunias, and fennel from seeds I purchased. I have really nice lamb's ear, blazing star, and butterfly weed - all from collected seed (yes, freebies for the taking). I am really pumped up about it!

Thumbnail by JefeQuicktech
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

CONGRATS!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

How did they survive the summer? Supposedly, wintersown plant are more hearty?

You mean more hardy?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, typos are allowed here! :-)

I'm waiting to see how my wintersown plants from last year look this spring! They were pretty little, so I "grew on" a lot of them in deck pots over the summer and didn't plant them out until fall. I've heard that you can plant out even teeny wintersown seedlings, but I didn't have the confidence to try that!

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

These seedlings of 2005 turned into magnificent plants during the spring, summer, and fall.

We had a brutal freeze in late May when they were still very small. They still survived in their little unheated shelters.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 4:38 PM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Excellent! No - I did mean hearty [thanks Critter]

Main Entry: hearty
Pronunciation: 'här-tE
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): heart·i·er; -est

1 a : giving unqualified support b : enthusiastically or exuberantly cordial : JOVIAL c : expressed unrestrainedly
2 a : exhibiting vigorous good health b (1) : having a good appetite (2) : abundant, rich, or flavorful enough to satisfy the appetite

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.